hard drive noise..anything to fix it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Nov 17, 2005.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

hey ya. i have 2 hard drives that have developed noise. not a seeking noise like crackers crunching, but rather a spinning noise. it seems to be fairly common with older drives. to me, i call this symptom "fridging". because it sounds like an older refrigerator, kinda like the compressor of it, you know, like a higher pitch spinning noise.

anyways, one of the drives is a western digital caviar WD200BB. the other is a western digital performer WD800AW home entertainment hard drive (it's an 80 gig pulled from a series 2 tivo) both drives are about 4 years old and have near constant use.

i've read about programs that you can run that will set the drive speed slightly lower to redue the noise output, any ideas?

2. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

possibly a bearing going out, you prolly want to get your shit off of it and replace it just to be safe

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yeah, i figured it was a bearing without anymore lube. i don't really need the drives, i just wanted to know if they were fixable, but to fix it would mean cracking it open and most likely making it worthless.

oh well, i guess they should die soon, they are 4 years old, most hard drives only get about 5 years of continuous usage, i'll just throw another backup on them and keep them in a safe place.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Cracking it open will ruin the drive permanently. Just replace the drive, and move on.

5. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Werd get your shit off before it goes bye bye. Or make it easier to replace and just image it.

Do it, do it now! Stop whining!