Hard drive maknig "crunching" sound after partitioning.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by assclown, Mar 2, 2009.

1. assclown

assclown Active Member

So I just partitioned my drive to install Windows and noticed that my hard drive is now making that "crunching" sound that some hard drives make. It started during my Windows installation, and it happens regularly in Windows.

I also briefly hear it while OSX is starting up, but it doesn't seem to happen much in OSX. I've launched a bunch of applications and it is still pretty much silent.

Any ideas what could cause this? Could it be NTFS? I have several hard drives in my PC that don't make that sound. I am using a 17" MacBook Pro unibody with the regular 320gb 5400rpm drive that it comes with.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: So I'm not entirely sure it's the hard drive afterall. I'm installing a game right now in Windows and it is silent again. The last time it made the sound was on startup. Also, it sounded like it was coming from under the left palm rest, where the battery is. If it does it again I'll listen to see if it's coming from the hard drive area.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

The left palm rest is where the hard drive is located. The battery is under the right palm rest and trackpad. It more than likely is the hard drive. I'm not sure why it's doing it, but as long as it doesn't do it normally, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal.