hard drive is telling me i have less free space than i really have

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by samulus, Dec 30, 2007.

1. samulus

samulus New Member

so not that long ago i bought a IBM x61 tablet with a 160GB hard drive. i transfered all of my documents over from my old computer to the x61 and then started installing all the stuff i needed. slowly the amount of free space kept going down dramatically after certain big installations (CS3, Maya, Office). Now I'm down to about 14gigs free and can't really clear up anything more. Considering my old laptop had a 60gb hard drive and the x61 has everything that one had and hardly anything more, it just doesn't add up.

so in an effort to figure out what the hell was taking up all my hard drive space, i found this program JDiskReport
    http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

JDisk scanned my hard drive and gave me a pie chart and categorized everything and told me my C drive is only using 50.5 gigs. the main breakdown goes like this:
    3.5gb to windows
    28.8gb in my documents
    10.1 in programs files
    5gb in various stuff on root C folder

so wtf is going on? why does windows think there is more stuff on my drive than there really is? is there an easy fix? i suppose a last resort would be to reformat, but i really don't want to do that. it always takes me days if not a week to get everything installed, transfered and back to normal

help pls:bowdown:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

post a screencap of "my computer" and "disk management"

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What version of Windows are you running? Is it Vista? If so, it's probably making backup copies of everything for no good reason.

4. samulus

samulus New Member

here's some screen shots

[​IMG]

I should note that the reason my external drive X wasn't plugged in at the time i took this screen shot. X works fine and is correct, C is the only problem.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the JDisk report
    [​IMG]

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

6. Zac

Zac New Member

Not sure if it'll help at all but have you tried running chkdsk on the drive?

7. Zac

Zac New Member

or something to do with that diskeeper software? (it's on the computer management screenshot) :dunno:

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

1. Some programs can reserve 'free space' that they think they might need to operate. They can look at the drive and see a bunch of space and say, 'Hey I might need an extra gig.' and reserve that space. If they see the space isn't there, they won't reserve it.

2. Office puts out these install files and then never purges them. You can purge them by going into Accesories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

3. Windows will automaticaly reserve a percentage of the hard drive for swapping files and virtual memory management. This is a percentage, so the space it is using will be twice as big from a 60 gig drive to a 120 gig drive.
    Adjust this by going: Control Panel -> System Properties -> Advanced -> performance

4. On WXP if you are running a NTSF partition (as oppsed to a FAT partition) you can compress any file or folder you want.
    Choose to compress things that you know you won't use often. A compressed file will run slower then one that is not compressed.
    Right click on the file and look for a tab that says: compress

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's your rescue and recover software running - it's made an image of your drive.

10. deusexaethera

Re: #4, you should compress Documents and Settings, Recycled (you have to show protected system files to do this one), Config.Msi, and any other folders on your C: drive except Windows and Program Files. Do not compress pagefile.sys or hiberfil.sys.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't compress anything.

12. deusexaethera

Compressing files works fine. I've never had NTFS compression cause a single file to corrupt. It won't fix the "where did all my space go" problem, but it's a good thing to do anyway. Word documents and bitmaps take up a lot more space than they need to, and split-second performance isn't important with those kinds of files.

13. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

:werd: I went thru this two months ago. Lenovo has its own software making backup images of your system.

14. deusexaethera

Yeah, that's a good point. I recently built some Thinkpads for a customer, and the Lenovo backup software was one of the first things I removed.

15. samulus

samulus New Member

it totally was the "Recover & Rescue" software Lenovo installed. i just uninstalled it and everything is peachy now. i also managed to get a few gigs by deleting the temporary Office install files.

thanks guys, you make the world a better place.

16. deusexaethera

We know. Thanks for noticing, though.

:fawk:

17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

:rofl: