Hard drive help.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WiLL, May 18, 2005.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Hi. Long story short...

I have a hard-drive that was in my USB 2.0 enclosure. The enclosure is connected to a USB 2.0 PCI card. I was transfering files and a window popped up saying my drive is corrupted. I rebooted the computer. With the hard-drive in the enclosure, I get the corrupted and not able to read error message. I took out the drive and put it on my IDE cable. The computer sees the drive, only it is not formatted.

I have about 200GB worth of stuff on this drive that I need. What can I do to recover this?

I have a feeling the error or corruption came from my PCI card since it has given me trouble before...but that is the least of my problems. :(

2. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Any one? Please?

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Try using the enclosure on another machine that has USB.

Worse comes to worse if you absolutetly need that data at any price it can cost you thousands of dollars to recover it. :hs:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

data recovery time.

5. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I dont suppose there is some program I can DL that can retrieve the data? Or even fix the drive?

The enclosure works fine when I put another harddrive in there. Either the drive or the PCI card is tempermental.

6. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

There are many things you can do and many data recovery software programs. My favorite is GetDataBack NTFS. Search for it on google. It has a free trial that lets you scan your hd and tells you if you can recover anything before you buy it.

It also could just be disabled in disk manager for some reason. To check this right click on my computer, goto manage, then goto disk management. Then check the status of the harddrive in question. It may be disabled, so right click on it and choose enable or activate. <that's all from memory so it may not be exact words, but close enough for you to follow.

7. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I'll give the latter a try tonight. Thanks.

8. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Well. I went to Manage, and it sees the drive. But it labels it a 128GB RAW, unformated drive. But while booting up, the BIOS say the 2xx GB drive that it actually is.

Still confused on this.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what service pack are you running?

10. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

The newest. XP can see my other drives fine, which are all bigger than 128GB.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I like how you completely avoid giving a direct answer to my question :mamoru:

12. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

:hs: I said the newest one. Which would be SP2 right?

I am running SP2.

13. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

If you want to check to make sure you just right click on My Computer and it will display what service pack you have.

14. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Did you try the enclosure/HDD on another machine, that should always be step number 1.

And yes there are free/demo recovery software, but most tease you and say that your software is recoverable but you much purchase the retail version to obtain your data.

Depending on how bad the situation is and you actually need to recover your data via a servicing company ... well to give you an example a client of ours 2 months ago had to do it on a xxxMB yes MB HDD and it cost him 2200$

15. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Yea, I dont think I am going to go that route. I dont have the money to do that.

And the enclosure works fine on another machine and with different hard drives. It is just this particular hard drive in which something went wrong and now it wont read from. :(