Hard Drive Help (long post)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SmugZombie, Jul 13, 2007.

1. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

My girlfriend tells me her external harddrive is no longer working with her computer, i say ok, lemme look at it.

I try it out on my computers which are XP and Vista-

Okay so.
    Xp sees that it is there, it has all of its drivers and everything - I try to "manage" with disk management, and i can see it and its three partitions... but i can not give it a drive letter or anything.

Vista sees it too, kinda, it shows that its plugged in, and the drivers are installed, but disk management doesnt show it. If i go into device management, it clearly shows that the Maxtor harddrive is found, drivers are working fine... Troubleshooter of course helps none.

Both with vista and xp, they tended to freeze My Computer and Explorer when i would open My Computer, or sometimes when i tried to open device manager.

Just recently i ran a LiveCD of Some Linux... not at home right now, cant remember which. The linux could see the harddrive, and all three partitions and could see all the files. Problem now is... Linux will not let me drag the files to another harddrive nor a flash drive.
    I thought, ok... i will install this linux and see if it gives me permission to move then... Wrong...

(i have tried all three of these methods with and without the external harddrive enclosure [meaning i put the physical harddrive in my computer on all three of these tests])

I would like to try this on a mac, considering it is yet another OS, and hopeing it will work. The only mac i have access to is the one at the library...wich has no availible power outlets, and basically no access privledges whatsoever.

Ah yes, i have also run programs that were intended to fix harddrives(on windows vista & XP), and when these programs were run they would freeze (not respond) but when i were to remove the device, they would resume, saying, that everything was fine.

Any Ideas on how to fix this.

Cliffs: External HDD wont work, tried xp,vista,linux ... linux worked minus privledges.. no software will work without freezing.. hdd shows up as connected, but no access to drive letters or files.

2. peakhead12

peakhead12 "Kill yourself to save the world" --Larry 2016 OT Supporter

uhmm its probably broken..you'll have to get a new one

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Try using spinrite on it see what comes up otherwise sounds like its shot

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Is it a Maxtor One-Touch? If so, it probably has the security turned on. She has to turn it off with the utility that came with the drive. She'll need the password she used to turn it on with.

ibsheforgotthepassword

5. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

No its not a one touch, its from the personal storage family... its just a basic grey box, with a usb and a power in...

6. Ranger-AO

huh. I wonder if there was any kind of security utility that came with it?

I have a one-touch that came with the utility. I took it to work one day without turning the security feature off and the symptoms I had are exactly what you are describing. I brought it back home, connected it to the computer I had used when I set the security option, turned the security off, and from then on had zero problems no matter what computer I connected it to.

7. Ranger-AO

Did you ever figure it out?

8. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter