hard drive failures

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tom3, Jun 5, 2003.

1. tom3

tom3 ...

hey, it'd be great if i could get some help and/or input on this. here's the situation:

i have 3 hard drives. the first one is a WD 100gb, where all system files and programs are located. the second one is a WD 180gb, a slave drive where misc. media and backup from the first is stored. the third is a Maxtor 160gb. so the problem is, while i was installing the third one intended as another slave drive, BOTH the previously installed ones decide to fail (i think it might have occurred during an improper shutdown). so basically, i have no access to the important data that i've saved for the past 8 or so yrs :wtc: here are the problems more in depth:

1st HDD:
    - during bootup, it gives an error saying there is a hard disk error

- not detected in bios
    - in device manager: shown as a proper device but with funky symbol-letter combo.
    - in computer management: shown as not initialiezed/unallocated with 639.33GB of space (WTF)

2nd HDD:
    - basically the same as the first, but no error during bootup and is detected in bios with a funky symbol-letter combo.

i've tried scanning with various trial data-recovery programs, but because of the indicated storage size, it seems that it would literally take a week to just scan. i did some research and it seems to be swipe/erasure damage.... can i do anything from home to help correct this, or get the partitions readable. or what are some reputable companies to take it to? (this is my last resort i guess since it's really expensive and i have important as well as... sensitive material stored). thanks.

2. tom3

tom3 ...

bumpers

3. fob

fob Member

Primary Master: 100gb
    Primary Slave: 180gb
    Secondary Master: (assuming cd-rom)
    Secondary Slave: 160gb

My recommendation if you haven't already tried it is to remove that 160gb and revert back to your original setup. See if you can get things working normally again. If the 160gb is brand new, you will need to partition and format it before it will be detected.

If your original setup works and you have formatted the 160gb you can then proceed to install the hard disk again. Make sure you check all your jumpers to see if they are properly set and make sure your masters are at the end of your IDE cable (not the middle).

Not much more input I can give you until I hear some more detail.

4. tom3

tom3 ...

maybe i didn't explain it too clearly? the problem is not with the 160gb drive, it is with the original 100gb and 180gb setup (i already tried reverting back to the original setup and it still causes errors).

the thing is, no matter which part of either IDE cable i connect the 100gb (original C: drive), i get the HARD DISK FAILURE error... because of this, i removed the failed drives and am now only using the 160gb one by itself as the primary master so i can at least use my computer at all. hope that makes more sense.

i think i'm going to try to use partition magic on the 180gb one since it contains mostly media and wouldn't be TOO big of a deal if i lost it... :sad2: