Hard drive failure...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JDub, Mar 16, 2004.

1. JDub

JDub New Member

Whatup. I think my gf's harddrive failed, but she has some data on it that she needs; pictures, documents, etc.

Well, here's what happens:
    -turn on computer, bios loads fine
    -as soon as it goes to load the OS, it makes this ("krrrrr krrrrrr krrrrr click click")^3 sound. (I think it does it 3 times. It basically does it everytime I try to access the harddrive)
    -I put in a different harddrive of my own (freshly reformatted and XP installed), and booted off that. I plugged the other harddrive in as a slave drive. The bios can see the harddrive, but the OS can barely detect it, and cannot access it at all. I can't see the capacity, or any info other than there might be a harddrive connected. I tried running the disk repair thing but it doesn't run correctly on it and just quits.

Well, the harddrive seems totally jacked. I'm guessing some of the blocks that held the directory screwed up. Is there ANY way that I can still salvage the data off this drive?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. DrgnFyre

DrgnFyre Guest

Usually that krr krrr krr / click click sound is the read heads hitting the side of the drive.. ie, not a good thing.

Short of extreme measures, there isn't really much you can do to get data off of that drive. There are some places that specialize in recovering data off dead drives, but that involves them charging you lots of money. :wtc:

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto, sounds like a dead drive.

Like said before, the data can be retrieved from a recovery company but for a very pretty penny.

It sounds funny, but I've read that people have put the drive in a plastic bag and then in the feeezer for about an hour or so and then try again to hook it up as a slave to get what you need. It's worth a shot if the drive is dead...

Good luck,

CM.

4. DrgnFyre

DrgnFyre Guest

I've never heard of that freezer trick.. Interesting. One alternative solution MIGHT be to use a different controller card on the drive.. This would only fix it if the controller was shout, though. I've done this in the past, but obviously both drives have to be the same brand, etc..

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, actually I have a .pdf that I got that has about 200 different tips and tricks to give a DOA hard drive one more kick in case you need some data off it. I'll take a look and if I can find it, I'll gladly host it. Or if you do a seach on here, it may come up.

CM.

6. flavin

flavin Piss Off Hamburgler. This is my Chicken Sandwich!

We did the freezer trick at work for one of our server drives. it worked for about 10 mins. just enough time to get a few files off