Hard drive error need help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RacerX, Oct 6, 2004.

1. RacerX

RacerX Member

I recently purchesed a brand new maxtor 40 gig hard drive off of ebay. I installed it as a slave to my other drive, and it does not show up in my computer or in disk management. The device manager recognizes it, and when I uninstall the drivers and reinstall them the computer says hardware detected ready to use, and still nothing. I tried to install windows XP on the new drive and when I put in disk 6 of the xp boot disk it just sits there "thinking" and does not ever continue. All the jumpers are correct, the cable is working fine, I cannot format it because I do not have access to it. Can somebody help me figure out what is wrong?

2. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Did you give it a file system, i.e. FAT32 or NTFS?

3. RacerX

RacerX Member

No, I never got a chance to do anything. I can't access it.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Regardless of giving it a file system, even a brand new unformatted drive should be seen in disk management.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Hard drives don't have drivers. You say that jumper settings and cables are hooked up properly - do you know how to hook them up? It is very specific.

Does the hard drive show up in BIOS?

Try removing your old (primary) drive and setting the new drive as a master then booting with an XP CD or 98 disk and partitioning the drive. If after removing your old drive you can access the new one then you probably had something setup improperly either cabling or jumpers.

Quick cabling jumpre lesson:

PATA/IDE cables have 3 plugs, 1 to the motherboard and 2 for drives. All three are NOT evenly spaced, the plug on the end that is furthest from the middle plug goes into the motherboard.

(mb) (d1) (d2)
    []||||||[]||||[]

The jumper settings either need to be a properly setup master/slave config OR cable select.

d1 is always the slave.
    d2 is always the master.

If you use master/slave jumper settings they must be inline with the cable!

OR

you could use cable select on both drives and the motherboard would figure it out for you.

Take it apart and try again.

6. RacerX

RacerX Member

Yes the BIOS does show it, and the jumpers and cable is hooked up right I tried every combination with jumpers and cable. When I try to install windows on the last XP boot disk right before starting the XP cd installation, it just sits there and thinks.

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Why aren't you using the XP CD to boot? You are using floppy disks to install XP?

8. RacerX

RacerX Member

I was using xp floppy boot disks, but I will try the xp install cd, I just never thought of using it.

9. RacerX

RacerX Member

Well the xp install was a failure for the new hard drive. It finally showed up in disk management though, I started to format it and halfway through it failed and dissapeared again. I guess it is just not compatable with my motherboard?

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Maybe the HD is bad? Was it used?

I doubt its a compatibility issue, if you are running XP on your other HD your computer is probably up-to-date enough to support the new HD.

It could also be your power supply on its way out (or being too weak to power any more) - you could try using a different power plug for the HD and see if you have better results - infact unplug anything from the power supply that you don't need (extra cdrom, etc.).

11. maartena

maartena Guest

In some cases, if you have the 1st drive set to "cable select" and not to "master" and the 2nd drive set to "slave", the drive is recognized by the BIOS and the Operating System but cannot be accessed.

Make sure you have your jumper settings on both drives in the proper places. Your old drive should be set to "master" and your new one to "slave".

12. sunnyside

sunnyside Guest

rebuild mbr (master boot record)

xp recovery console