Hard Drive Clicking Noise, help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JayWang, Apr 26, 2007.

1. JayWang

JayWang OT Supporter

This is a copy and paste job from a reply that I made to a thread in the main forum .......

- I had a 320GB Wester Digital IDE HD inside a Vantec NexStar 3 Enclosure (http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011433&cid=516 )

The closure and my computer stay on 24/7. I come home from work and I find:

- The WD drive is making a clicking/ticking noise. (this is a bad sign)
    - The clicking noise happens in a cycle: I hear the drive try to start up, it begins to spin, *click click*, drive slows down and stops. process repeats.

I take the drive out of the enclosure and try and troubleshoot:
    - The drive is not recognized by windows or my BIOS.
    - I tried the drive on a different computer (Read: diff mobo and power supply) and the same problems present themselves.

I'm pissed off because I know I have a physical problem with the hard drive but I don't have the resources to fix it. I also don't want to pay $800-$3800 for some data recovery company to fix it.

I just need to find some way to have windows can detect the drive as I have all the software/diagnostic tools to fix and backup my data.

Irony Points:

- The WD drive is about 2 months old. So it is still under warrenty. But only the hard drive itself, not data on the drive.
    - I bought this drive to backup my other 2 HDDs (both shitty maxtors) because I was afraid of them crashing. of course the brand new WD HD has to crap out first.

OT Help!

Can any one here reccomend any solutions? I did some googling with my mad internetology skills and found:

- "Freezing" the hard drive to make it start up?
    - tapping/knocking on the case while it's spinning to knock the heads into place???

Any advice, questions or concerns???

I really want to get my data back :( :(

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. RiSk

RiSk New Member

Freezing is Valid, I have done it to drives many a time. I dont know about the tapping / knocking on the case solution cant vouch for it.

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Yeah freezing does work. I once set a computer outside during a cold snap for a while and brought it in and it worked long enough to get data off of it.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

throw it in the freezer, worth a shot.

although i've only had it work for one bad drive out of a couple dozen that have died on me over the years...then it died immediatly afterwards

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

condensation is your enemy in the freezer. Do what you have to to prevent it.

6. JayWang

JayWang OT Supporter

how does condensation happen in the freezer?

freezer's freeze.

condensation occurs when there is an increase in temperature or decrease in pressure.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

once the drive is frozen you take it out and plug it in. The hdd spinning up will generate heat and cause rapid condensation within the drive.

:slap:

what's wrong with you lately? You're having a lot of brain farts.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Worse comes to worse if the data is important enough for you, you can get another identical drive and swap the platters.

I know a couple of people who have done it and they say it's fairly painless if you're careful.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have never had that actually work. The controller (board on bottom of drive) is actually programmed/syncd with the platters. My understanding is this would rarely work. Even same-model drives can be signifigantly different enough for this not to work (and the results could ruin the little you may have gotten off).

If the data is *that* important. Then I recommend you pay the pros.

www.drivesavers.com

10. Doc Brown

Well the one guy did it with several different hard drives, but that was a couple of years ago.

Coincidentally, the other guy just did this a couple of weeks ago.
    That being said, it was also on a pair of older scsi Seagate drives.

So no, I haven't heard of anyone do it with newer drives.

But I would think that it wouldn't be too hard to match up all the information on the drive label.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you really care about the data on the drive, I would recommend www.drivesavers.com

Otherwise, if the data is not important, go for it. Take pics and notes, and I'll be interested in the results.

12. ms500

ms500 New Member

Your Hard Drive is hosed.

I had a 40GB Maxtor unit with exactly the same symptoms. Needless to say it never worked again.

13. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

one of my old computers the hard drive would start clicking and the comp would freeze. i would just punch the case right next to the hard drive and it would stop clicking and the computer worked again. did this for about 6 months before getting a new computer. hard drive still probably works

14. Doc Brown

I had a 333 Celeron that used to piss me off, and would stick and freeze up constantly. Even a reboot wouldn't help.
    Someone told me to pull the memory out and put it back in.
    Sure enough, it worked. I even did it while it was running a couple of times.

I wound up throwing it down the stairs. :mamoru:

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The only problem I see with doing this is keeping the platters perfectly (and I mean PERFECTLY) aligned with each other during removal. A bit on the surface of a modern hard drive is too small to contemplate.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

in docs example, although he did say transfer platters, you would actually simply swap controller PCBs (as long as the motor wasn't burned out).

But again, very low success rate, and can end up fucking things up permanently.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

possible? yes. But by professionals.

18. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I had a drive crap out on tuesday and ended up using the freezer trick to get it to work long enough to get the data off. The second you take the drive out of the freezer, you need to have an enclosure ready for the drive. I strongly recommend an enclosure as you may have to power cycle the drive multiple times to get it to work properly, and as jollyogre said, condensation will happen fast, so make sure it's ready to go before you take the drive out of the freezer.
    Out of the 3 times I've tried the swapping PCB's, it worked sucessfully once, the other 2 times just ended up costing money.