Hard drive broken?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by clover, Nov 8, 2003.

1. clover

clover Lucky in life

So last night, I was installing some divx codecs with winamp running in the background when the music stopped and I got a message that "F:\ is not accessable. The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable." The F drive is my second hard drive where my mp3's were and I have a bunch of video files on it too that I would like to recover.

My question is do hard drives "crash" like that? It was working fine one second and then out of no where, while I was installing the codecs, it just breaks. I have ran two Hard drive utilities and the first one found errors but fixed them all. The second scan found no errors in the F drive. If it is broken, is there any program that I can use to recover at least some of the information?

Here are some other information:

1. It is a IBM 30.2 gig deskstar HD. (IBM-DTLA-307030) Made in 2001
    2. I have checked all cables and they are secure
    3. My box is running win xp with 512mb ram and has all updates.
    4. The F drive icon is still on "my computer" but when you click on it it gives you the error quoted above. I have checked the properties in the device manager and it says it is "working properly."

2. SFLegend

SFLegend .

That series of IBM hard drives are also known as "Death Star" so I wouldn't be surprised if it's dying right now. Download IBM's hard drive utilities and use it on your hard drive to see what's going on.

3. clover

clover Lucky in life

Yeah, the drive was already kinda broken when my brother gave it to me. I have used IBM's HD utilities and it doesn't seem to find any problems. I also used the Dell HD utilities with the same results.

Do Hard Drives just crash like that? I expected it to slowly die away. I wasn't even writting anything onto it when it happened. Sigh....my anime!

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

next time, buy Western Digital