hard drive broke

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pete, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Pete

Pete "Thats what I heard"

i have a real problem :wtc: . my power supply went out and took the hard drive with it. when i try to start my computer with the hard drive in it the computer will not start (no power to anything at all). when i disconnect the power to the hard drive then everything else gets power. im a student so i dont really have a lot of money to spend to send to a data recovery place (i was told it would cost at min. $400 and can just go up from there). i was also told that i can switch the circuit board on the bottom of the drive with an exact match and that could work. any ideas on how i can get my information back off this drive??? it is really stressing me out.

its an old western digital 15.3 drive from 2000. if you have any ideas where i could get a match for it. thanks for the help. :sadwavey:

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yep, like you said there's a slight chace that if you swap the board from another exact drive, it might work.

For finding a match, you might want to try Ebay.

3. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Most retail HD's weren't designed to be user serviced, so you might be screwed. Since you have to get another HD anyway, you should change your old HD's jumper settings to SLAVE, then connect the IDE cable as such to the new HD, then attempt to get your files that way. Of course, you'll be reinstalling your OS and programs, too.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Best bet is to do what you said and try to find an identical drive and switch the controller boards on them. I've done this before, and it usually works if they match.

5. Pete

Pete "Thats what I heard"

thanks