SRS Happy Funerals

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Secretary, Feb 6, 2007.

1. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

I had a family member die friday afternoon and we had her funeral this evening. Its honestly one of the most lighthearted happy funerals I have been to in awhile. She had a great life. She worked as a substance abuse counselor for a local hospital in our area. She took something that she was affected by and turned it around to help countless people in about the 20 years she worked in her position. We had recieved friends and family from 6-8, they had to finally cut the line off at about 820 so they could get the service started. Her being gone is a sad thing, but getting to see the people that she has had an impact on is a powerful thing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  2. gkremian

gkremian New Member

It was the same for me when my best friend's mom died. She worked for the community doing charitable things and through soup kitchens. I must say there were nearly one thousand people at her funeral, and there were so many happy stories that it seemed more like a celebration of life than a passing.

3. The Secretary

The eulogist told a sex joke.......

But it was done tactfully and understanding why he would say something like that means alot more.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

Celebrate life, don't mourn death. When I was born I had 40 aunts and uncles, 250 first cousins, over 1,000 if you count second cousins. I've spent a lot of time at weddings and funerals and I have to say the cool think about my family is the main difference between the two is there's one less person drinking :rofl:

Sure, we're sad that someone died. But the whole wake and funeral revolves around what s/he did while living, not the fact that s/he's dead. A typical eulogy starts with "Hey, remember the time when he.........." and ends with "We're sure going to miss him" and has a whole bunch of funny and touching stories in between.

Celebrate life, don't mourn death.

5. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

That's incredible- one could only be so lucky. How blessed you are to have had her in your life :)

6. The Secretary

She was very much an awesome person. She will be deeply missed.

The eulogist did start with the whole remember when etc etc.

I think her preacher didnt want to know some of the things that the eulogist told about her. :mamoru:

She was very much a brass hard lining person. She would tell you like it is wether or not you wanted to hear it. In her line of work you have to have that. She was one of those people that wasnt very educated didnt have PHD's etc but the patients she worked with opened up to her more becuase she was so personable and honest.