Happy Birthday to me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

My girlfriend got me a set of Bang & Olufsen earphones for my birthday. Go me :eek3d:

When I am work, I have been using isolating in ear canal phones. They feel great, sound good for $30 and do a good job at keeping other sounds out. That would be great if I was on a flight, but not at work. I have been missing my phonecalls and intercom pages because I can't hear shit with the phones in. Also, the cord is really weird, too short on it's own, way too long with the extension and easy to snag. When anything brushes against it, my phones rip right out of my ears. Annoying to say the least.

So I set out to find a really nice set of earphones that were small enough to be discrete and let sound in, but sound incredible, have a normal cord, durability from falling out, not distort, and have great bass. Well, in trying out different types, I found that getting good bass out of something that size is nearly impossible. So I decided that I would have to accept that if size was more important.

In the end, I came upon these on accident. I saw them online and thought they were going to be out of my budget, so I passed by them. Then my GF and I were at the mall, and we went in. I saw them and found out they were half the price I thought they were. When I finally listened to them, I thought, these sound like shit. They were on the demo player there. So my girlfriend suggested I listen to them on my iPod in my pocket. Whoah... WAY better. Really impressed me. So my girl took me to the mall last night to pick them up as a few days early BDay gift.

I love these things. :bigok:

[​IMG]

And a bunch of my iPod listening devices together.
    [​IMG]

2. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Hows the bass with those?

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

my old boss bought everyone in our department a set of those for christmas year before last. they sound decent, but hurt my ears after they're in for a while...but i still use them when i don't want to wear my cans.

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

The best bass I've hear from in ears, but just okay if you compare them to larger headphones. Stats on these: The frequency range: 50 - 20,000 Hz and Impedance: 19 Ohms. When you start to disect things, Bass is all about pushing air, and when you deal with such small drivers in the speakers inside such small headphones, it's really hard to get great, deep bass. However, the bass that these do have is very responsive, the mids and highs are spectacular, and very crisp.

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

:cool: One thing you should try is not snuggling them deep in your ear canal like you would with conventional headphones. I noticed the same issue at first, but then adjusted them so they sat gently on the ears and it fixed the problem. No irritations now.

6. maczter

just tried it. no irratations...and no bass. :hs:

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

You got bass before?

8. maczter

yeah. i have some silicone covers that make them seal pretty tight when i push them into my ears, but that's what causes them to be uncomfortable after a while.

9. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Hmm, I can't find any real difference in sound if I snuggle them or let them rest on the ears :dunno:

10. maczter

could be the silicone surrounds i added to mine. :dunno:

...and the fact that when i say i push them in, i mean they're actually tight against the opening to my ear canal. :hs:

here are the silicone surrounds i'm using...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_003_001_000&product_id=33-1994

11. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

12. maczter

they're just thick enough to provide a little cushioning, but probably less than 1/16 " thick.

13. stiffay

stiffay Active Member

where did you get your Ipod case? looks nice :cool:
    i just bought an Ipod after a lot of research on OT and other companies websites :o
    i have to take it back though because the stupid sales guy gave me the demo with out telling me! its all scratched.
    link to the headphones your gf got you?

14. maczter

15. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

www.Radtech.us for the case. Ear Phones link posted above.

16. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Do ya like the sleave?? I have the Marware thing...the all in one and its great for walking around...but that looks cool too if ya ya just want it in a pocket...

Let me know...also does the scrolling work good with the fabric on it? Does it attrack pocket lint?

17. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I like it. It does a good job protecting from scratches since it covers the wheel and screen. Using the click wheel is just the same as if the case was not on. No problems. I don't get pocket lint, but the suede-like material makes it a lil difficult at times getting in and out of my jeans pocket. Thinking of getting another in silver later.

18. stiffay

stiffay Active Member

19. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Update: I went out and bought those silicone rings at RS tonight. They made the headphones uncomfortable and sound like total ass. I do not recommend them at all. I went back to foams and was so relieved. The fantastic sound was back and they fit well again.

20. maczter

hmm. i'll have to try foams.