GUN Happy B-day to me! v. present from dad

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, Jun 19, 2007.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Happy B-day to me! v. present from dad (*with pics now*)

backstory: So if any of you recall, I bought my dad an AR for X-mas. we have both wanted to have one for a while and never gotten around to buying one, blahblahblah. Anyway, I decided it was time. Well I seem to have pushed him over the edge. He now has full blown Black Rifle Disease and is building his 3rd one I think!

actual point: He decided it was so much fun that I should get in on this. As he put it "that present you gave me has cost me a lot of money... so now I'm getting you back!"

He gave me a Sabre Defence bare lower receiver! He said it's up to me to fill out the rest but this is a good place to start. Looks like I'm planning an AR build now. So far I'm thinking the following:

std trapdoor stock
    A1 grip
    std internal parts kit
    free-float tube handguard
    16" bull barrel 1-9"

parts I can't decide on are:
    A1 slabsided upper with std sights (front sights at 20" sight radius on the 16" barrel)
    or flat top upper with tear-drop fwd assist, optics of some sort, and a low profile gas-block
    thoughts/advice/suggestions from the AR-crew?

oh yeah, and pics to follow when I get home this evening....

Update with pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  2. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I really wanna build one with a late 60s M16 kit. Theres almost TOO many choices!

3. Punani

Punani New Member

Get a flattop. You can mount an A1 or A2 carry handle on it if you want it.
    But if you have an A1/A2 upper you can't go flattop.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

please don't get a 16" bull barrel......it just makes no sense, since bull is for LR, but with a 16" you don't have the Vinitial to really push the rounds out there.

Decide if you want a carbine or a long range gun and then build just that :o

5. no7fish

no7fish New Member

hmmm... that's a good point Panzer. I do want a carbine, I'm not aiming for a true long range rifle, but I'm sure the 16" will benefit from the bull barrel. (right?) Even if it's not a 300 yd tack driver it should still be better than the lightweight ones shouldn't it? I mean bull is for accuracy, regardless of range.

I'm kinda in two minds about the flattop. You have a good point about the bot-ways thing but I do like the old-style A1 look. If I am going to have a std front sight I'll probably go with the std rear too but if I'm going with the bull barrel then I'll go flattop I think...

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

my point is that, atleast IMHO, unless you are going for 400+ yards alot, you really don't need a bull barrel *flame suit on*. If you plan on shooting sub 300 , I would say carbine or a 20"....

7. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Yeah, I certainly don't NEED a bull barrel. It never hurts though and I don't see the downside to having one...?

As far as the upper rec, I'm still debating over the slabside or fwd asst. Does anyone actually use their fwd asst or is it a blue-moon kinda thing? I'm not in a military situation so is it necessary?

And any suggestions on sights? Optics or iron?

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

weight is a downside to the bull barrel. Also, maybe the balance of the gun :dunno:

9. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Yeah, but they look SEXY! haha, I'm really not a form>function person at ALL but I concede they do look nice with a free float tube like I have.

Good points I suppose. I'm not looking to carry this thing around a lot so I'm not TOO concerned about the weight. Of course I still don't want to be holding up a twenty pound rifle just for fun.

I should really go play with some in a shop to check the balance though. If it makes it nose-heavy then I'll be going with the lightweight for sure.

Anyone know what length each of the tubes are for carbine and std? I'm not sure which one my dad gave me here....

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

just eyeballing it it looks like a rifle length to me.

11. no7fish

no7fish New Member

That's what I was thinking. If I use the std sights then I would like to put it at the rifle sight radius but with a 16" barrel. If I don't use them then it doesn't matter where they are, I'll just get one of those low profile gas blocks that the tube can go over.

It all comes down to sight options. I was looking at a kinda cheapy little red-dot type sight, like 30mm dia by 4" long or something. Has anyone used one of those? Are thye worth buying? I'm not in a position to spring for an Eotech for a while so I need something for the meantime. What other options are there without spending hundreds upon hundreds of dosh?

Oh, and I see the front sights at various places along the barrel but how on earth do the bayonets fit in the distance from the muzzle to the bayonet lug is all different? Is there a length that's "right" for this and the rest are just non-functional? (not putting a bayonet on, just curious)

12. no7fish

no7fish New Member

no one want to share their opinions/experiences with some of the sight/optics options on ARs?

13. Punani

Punani New Member

Like with all optics, you get what you pay for. Spend $30 on a Red Dot, you'll have a $30 Red Dot. Spend $900+ on an ACOG, and you'll have something that will last you for many years to come.
    IMHO, If you can't afford optics right now, learn how to use the Irons and save up for EOTech/Aimpoint. You'll be glad you did.