SRS Happiness? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by about:blank, Nov 6, 2006.

1. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

I'm only 21 but it just seems I'll never be happy in life.

When I was 16 all I wanted was a car, once I got it a month later I was over it.

When I was 18 all I wanted was a bike, got that, kept me happy for about a month.

Wanted a better bike, got one and was over that quickly.

At 19, I wanted to be in a relationship to be happy, in one now and I keep wanting more.

Wanted to be 21 sooooo bad, but after buying liquor and going to bars it's fun but now I want more :o

Now I want a new car, I'm sure when I will get that I'll be over it in a month and want something more.

There's lot of minor and major accomplishments thrown in there but they just don't come to mind.

Does long term happiness exist or have I been lied to?

2. harleysilo

harleysilo New Member

So you are in a 2 year relationship currently? From your brief post it seems like you are treating your relationship as an object you can obtain and then discard when you are "over it", much like your bike or car. Relationships happen, they aren't bought.

Long term happiness exists, but I too often mind myself getting over things I've recently got. The "newness wears off" is a common thing for everyone.

I'm not religious, but some people find relgion gives then something to live for and provides happiness.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Don't define your life by material possessions, and chances are you will find some happiness.

Learn to be satisfied with what you have. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

You are looking at things in a materialistic sense. Happiness doens't come in the items you possess. Happiness comes in what you have: in friendship (yes, like all those stupid cartoons on TV that talk about friendship), in family, in yourself.

Happiness is there: You just have to find out why what you want doesn't provide you the happiness that you perceive it to give. What are you really looking for? How is your relationship with your parents? with your siblings? Friends? Is there something that you want to be there that isn't which is why you are seeking a material to fill the gap?

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

It's not about what you HAVE, it's about what you DO. Start trying out various activities/lines of work. Once you find something you really like to do, you will seem a lot closer to being happy than you ever thought you could.

6. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

it's supposed to be a journey not a destination

7. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Put it this way: I have so many different hobbies/interests/activities that I seldom have time to feel unhappy: I'm always doing something, whatever it is.

Being satisfied with the things you're engaged in, whether alone or with friends... that's how I would view happiness.

8. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Happiness possible? Of course it is. You have to choose to be content where you are at and not focus on what everyone else around you is doing or what everyone else has.

9. lost04

lost04 justme

long-term happiness does exist.
    in your case I think you just need to be grateful for what you have in the present and stop moping around. I’m sure there are millions of people out there who would trade in just about everything they have to have what you have.
    maybe you should try doing something charitable..that always makes me feel better.
    take the focus off of you. You’ll be surprise what an impact helping someone selflessly can have on you.