hanging during CHKDSK before windowxp boots

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jakusotsu, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu New Member

does anyone know how to solve a system hang during a chkdsk? :dunno: it always hangs on the 64% mark of the last step.

should i just leave it on for a day to see if it goes past the 64% mark? i cannot defrag the drive until I properly chkdsk it, but it won't complete...

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Sounds like a bad HDD sector, if it won't pass CHKDSK.

I have similiar problems on one of my HDD's, but it freezes at 7%. I let it sit for a few hours and still nothing. I had gotten an error about it having a bad sector earlier as well so I'm sure that's what it is. :sigh: I need a new machine already.

3. Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu New Member

how can i fix a bad sector? is there software that can do this or is my HD permanently broken like this? is it just the partition or the whole HD?

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

You can partition your drive to not use the section of the drive that is corrupt, but you have to find out where exactly it is first. It's kind of guess and check, you partition then scan for errors until it finds none. I did this with one drive and had to shave off ~1GB before I got rid of the error.

Really if you have a bad drive it's a good idea to just get a new one. Some software can "fix" bad sectors for Windows, but if there is actual physical damage of the disk platters or something similiar it's bound to fail completely one day.

5. deezil

deezil New Member

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

My friend's laptop drive had a few bad sectors. CHKDSK would get stuck at 21%. Lucky for him it didn't corrupt any files he really needed,