MIL Hang all your shirts all-the-same-basic way

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by QuickHitCurepon, Jul 4, 2008.

1. How do people feel about how neat your gear, clothing, and personal effects had to be neatly arranged in the locker at basic training?

Has it helped you a lot in your post-basic life?

Whoa mama, it sure has made my many years after the Air Force a helluva lot easier. Having a neat surrounding makes it way easier to prosper. :wiggle:

2. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

the only thing that the hyperorganization has changed about me is that it now takes me a lot less time to clean up after myself

3. dura

dura Guest

fuck that shit, my stuff goes into a giant heap.

4. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I still hang up stuff the same was as before. I just have to find places for everything the military has given me.

5. When we got issued our stuff in basic, whew, my duffle bag sure was heavy. I didn't have too much trouble marching back to the dorm with it, but sometimes I wonder how I did it. I only weighed 145 lbs. at the time at 6'2" and hadn't ever done weight-lifting.

It's been thirty years since AF basic for me now, and about every other day, it still crosses my mind, whether I should place all my shirts with the collars facing the same direction or not.

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

shit went out the window as soon as I left OTS

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I don't understand... Are there no women in your life that can do this for you? :ugh2:

8. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

I'm sorry, you said Air Force and I got distracted.

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

bright shiny object!

10. I don't like peole touching my stuff. Say I'm anal. It's Ok. I joke with my wife lots of times about that. Even my books have to be a arranged a certain way.

11. Another organizational trick I've found is to wear t-shirts with pockets as much as possible, and this probably wouldn't work for the girls: lol

During the day, you can throw small things in that pocket. It really helps me to work more quickly. My only problem is that I want to throw too many things in there. :wiggle:

12. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

pocket, meet knife.
    knife, meet pocket.
    bye bye pocket.

What did the five fingers say to the pocket?
    RIP!

you don't wear shirts with pockets as under shirts:squint:

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

The ladies like it. :dunno:

14. Not as an undershirt but as a regular shirt worn in public. :wiggle:

15. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

The only thing it really helped was getting out of room inspections. The Drill Sgts at AIT would check one wall locker from a room of 8 soldiers. The room would choose one locker for the Drill Sgt to check, and if it passed, we would all get the rest of the day off, and not have to clean anything else. They would always choose mine. It was mad clean. But no, it has not had any benefits outside the military, besides being organized.

16. I really don't like when the clothes are hung in the closet with the open-end of the hook facing the wrong way. :noes:

My sister-in-law is super-neat! Maybe partly because she worked at the Alamada Naval Air Station hospital before the base got closed and later at the VA in San Francisco before she retired. She even arranges things very carefully in rows in her drawers.

17. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

from what I was told it assesses your attention to detail. because there is apparently some causal link that says that if you cant fold a fucking shirt into a six inch square you are a worthless piece of shit that will never amount to a good soldier/officer/leader/etc and that you won't be able to do your job properly. last time I checked the majority of people give a damn about doing their jobs and doing them well. many of them probably don't give a flying fuck about how their shirts are folded either.

oh and all those fuck fuck procedures that they make you do are to see if you can follow a checklist. because following DFAC procedures has a direct link to how well you can follow a pre takeoff checklist where fucking up could possibly kill you and others.

I don't think I'm military material anymore...

18. Mitsukillinsi

Mitsukillinsi Active Member

I do a lot of detachments with the command im at now. I usually find myself folding things the way I did in boot camp just cause its easier to get everything into my seabag

19. JSin

JSin New Member

If your job is folding that shirt into a 6 inch square I think there might be more than a casual link. It's obviously used to see how Soldiers deal with completing monotonous tasks that don't have apparent meaning. People who lose their cool over folding a shirt aren't really the ones you want with you in a foxhole.

20. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

generally the monotonous tasks will have a more apparent purpose than what to me is a slippery slope fallacy, plus people usually care about their jobs more. I was willing to take the two hits on the inspections for not having my shirts folded properly, because in the end it doesn't matter and nobody will give a fuck a week later if your shirts are folded properly.

21. With the military teaching recruits neatness habits, I think it helps them also avoid buying and building up a lot of junk and possessions. For almost fifteen years after basic, I was able to move all my belongings to a new location in my '67 Volvo 122S. :)

22. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

so it's all just a big money saving scam...