GUN Handloader,s, How much to get started

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 70Machwon, Jan 17, 2006.

1. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Since ive aquired a .35 remington, ammo is a little more scarce then more stardard ammo. I think it would be cheaper to handload. But how much am i lookin for to get started with an average set up. For now, ill just be doing .35 for myself, and maybe 7mm for a friend (once i get used to handloading).

What is everything I need so far i know
    press
    dyes
    scale
    powder measure?
    a way to clean the casings.
    bullets, primers, powder
    book on handloads for said ammo

what am i forgetting and is there a good book about getting started in handloading.

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i'm interested in starting handloading.

i bought the lyman 48th ed. reloading handbook. has a lot of good advice in the beginning and charts for practically every bullet/powder mfg. out there.

3. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

very cool. How much was it and where did you get it.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

first off, buy this book

[​IMG]

Figure out what kind of bullets you want to use and/or powder and buy their manuals (Noslers is the best i've read, really interesting). You're probably best off buying stuff in a kit like a lee anniversary or RCBS Master Supreme or whatever. Most kits will come with a manual (RCBS comes with a Speer manual for instance) You can clean cases with soap and water but a tumbler is your best bet, you can get one for about $40.

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

bought the book at a local gun store. don't remember what the price was but i don't recall it being over $35 including tax. probably less.

6. 7

Also its kinda hard to give an estimate of how much because I dont know how far you want to go with it, know what i mean? :o Also you'll need a bullet puller for when you fuck up/have ammo you won't need, the kinetic hammer type is OK but I prefer the hornady cam-lock puller, much quicker and doesnt even leave a mark if you use it right. You'll need a case trimmer too, the lathe type are atleast $40 or so but I just bought a lee hand trimmer for like $5, it uses $5 collets for each different cartridge.

7. 7

oh and if you have questions go to

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve

There are ALOT of old-hands there when it comes to reloading, shooting, etc, and they're all very friendly. To them there are no dumb questions.

8. mrbill

mrbill New Member

for just starting out i would reccoment the lee anniversary kit. it's got almost everything you'll need to start. i would however reccomend a different scale as the one it comes with sucks. other than that, dies, powder, bullets, primers, calipers, reloading block and a few other odds and ends will get you up and running. read at least 2 or 3 reloading manuals all the way through twice before you start doing it yourself. then just take it slow and follow all the directions/warnings and you'll be okay. cost for the anniversary kit is about $80 w/the book. http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.ex...=all_products&search_keywords=anniversary+kit the other bits will vary in price depending on what brand/model you get and from where. i will warn you that it is addicting and you'll probably be hooked for life once you start.:big grin:

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7 and mrbill gave good advice, I've steered a couple of my friends into the Lee kit there $79 I believe, then you'll need the dies a puller, trimmer, tumbler if you decide to go that route, they do make life alot easier, if you go with the cheaper stuff you can get all of this for around the $200 nieghborhood, then you'll just need get powder, primers, cases etc.

10. millero

millero Aluminum Member

how much reloading would you have to do to make reloading financially worth it.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not a whole lot really, check out ammo prices, for a case of 5.56 unless its Wolf your looking at $200 minimum, unless you hardly do any shooting it can easily pay for itself pretty quickly. How many calibers do you shoot? How often do you shoot? how many rounds do you shoot? add it all up and figure out if its worth it for you.

12. 7

depends really, its harder to make it financially worthwile if you're just going to load common pistol or milsurp calibers if you dont have any problems with shooting stuff like wolf and what not. On the other hand you can easily save $10-20 a box if you're loading catridges that arent available in bulk and are using premium bullets. In my 7mmRM I can shoot 140gr accubonds which would cost around $30 for a box of loaded ammo for about $10 which is cheaper than core-lokts. My brother is using 100gr Nosler Partitions in his .243 and can load them for about the same price as mine instead of paying about $25 a box for Federals.

It might take you a while to break even but reloading is an enjoyable hobby so you shouldnt worry too much about it.

13. mrbill

mrbill New Member

once you get past gathering the needed items, it's actually pretty cheap. powder is between $16-$20 a pound, primers are like $1 and change for 100, bullets are between $13 and $25 or so for 50 and the brass you can either buy or just keep the empties from your store bought stuff. also, by doing your own, you can vary the type/brand/amount of powder and develop a load that is more accurate than anything you'll be able to buy out of a box.

14. 7

I buy corelokts for practice ammo, $10 for 100 in 7mm and .30 :o

15. mrbill

mrbill New Member

corelokts:ugh: just funnin ya. i'll have to check em out. i've just been using the ballistic silvertips. didn't know corelokts were that cheap.

16. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Thanks a lot guys, im definatly buying that book taht was pictured above. And that Lee aniversary kit is lookin like a sweet deal.
    It wouldnt be financailly aplicable to me, but the .35rem is not hard to find here, but definatly expensive at about 21-25 bucks for a box of 20. I think i can do better reloading and it looks like a fun hobby. Now i just have to convince my parents to let me store the powder in the shed.:x:

17. 7

My reloading bench is in my bedroom at my parents house, I store powder and everything else in there too. There's no real danger as long as you're not smoking while doing it :hsugh:

18. 7

They dont even come in a box, they're in a resealable plastic bag :hsugh:

19. mrbill

mrbill New Member

my reloading bench is actually a little cart i bought from target. works okay until i can build a properbench. just had to add a couple braces to the top part. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...9?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0006446D2

20. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Wal-Mart has a RCBS kit with everything you need to get started for $259

Then you will need to buy your dies,primer, bullets and powder.

I`m going to say $350 and you could get started

21. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

22. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i've never seen a single thing for reloading at wal-mart:eek3: is it just hiding in the fabric aisle or some other silly place i'd never go to?

23. 7

If they carry any stuff its back in the hunting section, the wal-mart here carries a small amount of powder, bullets (some sierras, I think speer, and Nosler BTs) and misc. RCBS loading stuff. I bought a Lyman tumbler at walmart for $40 actually, not too bad of a deal.

24. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:eek3: god I hate NY..

25. 7

I got that kit for x-mas last year actually, its not bad except it doesnt come with a case trimmer which is something that you'll need eventually though probably not at first. Other stuff I'd reccomend but isnt really vital would be the cast powder measure stand that sets it up off the bench instead of the crappy piece of metal it comes with, a powder trickler, and get rid of the sticky case lube and use imperial sizing wax, its alot less of a mess. A tumbler or something to clean cases is a plus too. Your estimate of $350 is pretty accurate though :o