WEB Handling Credit card numbers through registration form?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by littleman, Dec 12, 2007.

1. littleman

littleman I took an AMEX survey and all I got was this crapp

Hi OT :wavey:

A client of mine just recently wanted me to create a registration page for their sports club site allowing clients to register and sign up for the spring on the website.

He wanted the form to be able to email him the credit card numbers (big :nono:, i know) along with the registration information. I have had little experience dealing with private information such as this, so are there any recommended ways in securely handling this type of data.

My question is, what is the best way of accomplishing this registration form with credit card number task?

2. Nakon

Nakon Guest

3. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

PayPal, because its a name people trust rather than just putting their CC numbers in a box.

4. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

use a processor gateway with a decent API.

I use authorize.net's AIM and ARB API's. The ARB is nice because it stores all customer's info (except their legible CC) in a CRM-like interface on authorize. If you want to store CC's locally, encrypt them and store them in a database. There are tons of white papers on the accepted methods for the safe storage of credit cards.

With the API, your site makes a direct call to the processor with the client + payment info.. the payment is immediately run and the processor will reply back with success or fail. (Authorize.net requires you to use a SSL host for most of their API's... i'm pretty sure you can get away with unencrypted on their SIM API though.)

Emailing them to yourself in plain text is one of the worst ideas ever.

5. 420am

420am OT Supporter

As well as illegal if I remember correctly.

6. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I don't think it is illegal per sae, but it is against PCI compliance rules. If Visa finds out, you would be liable for any charges that happen, as well as lose credit card processing abilities with every major Credit Card provider.

7. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

8. littleman

littleman I took an AMEX survey and all I got was this crapp

I think I'll be taking a look at Paypal, it doesn't require the user to have an account and looks like the easiest to setup in the timeline that I have, Authorize.net looks nice though.

Thanks OT!