GUN Handgun Registration?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pookrat, Apr 9, 2004.

1. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Whats the quickest easiest way to register or check registration on a Handgun in Texas. Bought a used 9mm Baretta quite a while back from an aquantance in my apartment complex. Nice guy and I'm sure the gun is fine, just thought I should register it in my name...

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

why waste your time?
    you don't have to get it registered if you buy from a private party, i'm pretty sure
    :coold:

3. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

umm, call ATFto check and see if the gun is listed as stolen or used in crime. In these United States of America you currently don't have to register a firearm even if you purchase from an FFL. The only thing that the govt. is involved in is doing a background check on NICS to see if you are eligible to purchase a gun (i.e. no felonies, etc). They don't register the gun to you. The only one who records the serial number of a gun is the FFL who holds it in a journal with the name of the person that originally purchased the firearm until the point in which the FFL business is dissolved and then the ATF maintains posession of the records.

4. Furner

Furner New Member

they only hold records for like 7 years.

dont "register" the handgun or anything. right now you have the upper hand, because if (when) big brother comes to take away your guns, they dont have records of that gun being in your possesion. the seller could always roll over on you, but he has no proof that you still have it. that just the way i see that sort of thing, i wish i had a handgun that wasnt on state books.

5. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

register in texas? :eek3:

6. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

Its good to have a few guns "the man" does not know about ;)

7. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

If "the man" comes for my guns, there not getting them.

8. Furner

Furner New Member

the man has more guns than you, so although its painful, handing over all the ones they ask for would probably be the best option. thats what the "secret" guns are for

9. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

what i do is call the department of public safety from a payphone with the serial number and the make/model of gun. the dps will tell you if it is "hot" or registered to whom. you do not have to register the gun in texas, its yours have fun at the range!

10. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

:mamoru:

11. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Thanks for the comments. I have had guns all my life and have never registered one before. I know registration is not necessary. I guess i totally worded the fisrt post wrong. BUT I had never bought a gun from a somewhat stranger. Everyone said exactly what I thought I would hear after re-reading that post. What I wanted to do was make sure it is not stolen. Don't want to go toting a stolen or hot gun around town. Guess I'll call the DPS like was mentioned anonymously just for piece of mind...