GUN handgun + knife/flashlight combat techniques

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jago, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

anyone have any links or tips? one of my old instructors offers a course but i'd rather read up and pratice myself.

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I have a tip: Hold the flashlight off to the side, so that it's not in front of your body. That way when the opponent shoots into the light (since that's all he'll be able to see in a dark room), it's less likely to hit you.

And make it a maglite, so that you can use it as a club in an emergency.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

or a surefire, so that it'll always work, and work well. if you are down to only a maglite as a weapon, you're in sad shape, and should not stick around. maglites are also damn heavy, and you can't hold a maglite big enough to club someone with and still shoot. well, i guess you could, but i'd much rather go with something smaller and more powerful. a combat light is not meant to be the actual weapon in the combat.

4. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

5. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

i've tried using a 3 D cell maglite and its too heavy and cumbersome to be used in conjuction with a handgun for me. by itself, it makes a great weapon but i'm just not comfortable with it any other way.

yeah, a knife isn't my choice for home defense either. this class is not geared toward home defense though. its more of a tactical combat course. i watched the last class he had briefly and they were doing some drills with both the gun and knife drawn holding them both at the assailant with hands crossing each other for support . :dunno:

6. Joe_Cool

I just want to emphasize - whatever light you use, hold it away from your body. He's in a dark room, and he's blinded by a flashlight in his eyes. If he has a gun, that light is going to be his only target, and he'll shoot right for it. You don't want to give him a bullseye over your center mass.

And a maglite is a bit heavier than other lights, but it is 100% reliable, and if you practice with it, you'll have no trouble shooting with it. I've accidentally dropped mine (a 3 cell) from the roof of my house, and it didn't even flicker when it hit the ground. It takes mounds of abuse without cracking open or losing light. And I've had a set of batteries (duracell) last me over a year of pretty regular use.

It's a good light, but it's all about the personal preference.

7. Joe_Cool

I personally keep my Glock 21 (.45) handy in the bedroom and my Mini-14 (.223) in the living room. I don't use a tac-lite, but my sword is always within reach (because I'm always messing with it and sharpening the blade :) ). Of course, anybody I can't put down with 30 shots from the rifle, is probably going to kill me even with a sword in hand. But just in case... :dunno:

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

my 5-D maglite is big, heavy, and makes a good club. and yes, it's durable. i rolled/slid down about a 10-15 foot drop on a waterfall this past december. the maglite went first, and took all the beatings those rocks gave to the both of us.