GUN Handgun for personal and business protection

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Nacho, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

I started my own business, and due to where the shop is and the time of night we close, i'm a little worried about protection for the store. I'm looking for a weapon that will serve both as a personal carry weapon (concealed carry) and something for me to have personally at the store.

I have a friend (ex-polivce officer and long-time gun expert and enthusiast) that works at the gun store, and I went and tried the feel of a few guns yesterday. The guns that best fit my hand were the Glock 23 and the Smith and Wesson SW99 (w/ finger extension on the magazine). Personally, i felt the Glock was the best, but the SW99 was a close 2nd. I also looked @ teh slim Kahrs, H&Ks, Colts and Sigs as well as a few revolvers, but none felt as balanced and natural as the Glock and S&W.

We decided on the .40 as the best caliber for the type of use I'm looking for. Both will have the tridium sights because of probable use in low-light conditions. With that, the light that clips to the trigger guard was a reccomended additional puchase for when i have it in my home.

More or less, i'm trying to gather opinions on those two guns. It looks like it's going to be hard to fire each before i purchase due to lack of ranges that will rent guns, and i've never fired a gun before. What will be most reliable, and be easiest to fire accurately?

I will be taking the Concealed Carry class before i carry it, and will put many, many rounds through the gun before i trust it with my life and protection. But i'd like to make the most informed decision possible.

on a side note, my business partner will be purchasing one when he turns 21 as well. He prefered the Kahr. Any comments on that manufacturer of gun?

2. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Side note: we got to look at Desert Eagles too (just for fun). The trigger pull on those is nuts! Completely the opposite of what I expected.

3. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

they are both good choices, id go with the glock.. but check out the springfield XD, it's like a glock only better :bigthumb:

and i wouldn't suggest a light for your handgun, it will tell you where the BG is, but it will also tell him where you are.

4. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Well the light would be for home use only, lik ebefore i went to bed i'd clip it on. It's a 3M tactical light (IIRC), and it was so bright that in the store, he flashed it at me once and i couldn't see for about 5 minutes. it's thumb operated, so it can be flashed once real quick or turned on and stay on. He said that he had them on his becuase it's VERY effective for destroying someone else's night vision AND it works especially well on anyone drugged up because of their pupils being dialated.

5. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Oh, both guns retailed there for about $539. I think he'll give me a discount when i buy it, but as it is, that's the price.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i don't trust S&W polymer framed guns (ie; SW99). i've found them to be mediocre at best as far as reliability goes personally. And, as i always will say, if New Jersey State Police felt they were bad enough to back out of a 4,000+ gun contract and return the 500+ SW99's they already had; i think that says something about the gun.

$539 is a great price IF it includes the tritium sights. If not, a Glock 23 shouldn't be more than $500. i'd also recommend the G23 over the SW99 and i'd also recommend checking out the Springfield XD.

If you've never fired a gun before, i'd suggest considering a 9mm instead of a .40. Learning will be much easier and faster with the lighter recoiling 9mm and the difference in power is far offset by your ability (or lack of) to shoot accurately. Plus, any Walmart has the $10/100rd white box deal for easy/cheap practice ammo. It's really no big deal to sell the gun if you decide you want to move up to a .40/.45/whatever.

My rule of thumb is shoot 300 malfunction free rounds of the ammo you are going to carry before trusting the weapon. This is, of course, an expensive start as one normally carries hollowpoints such as Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers for self defense use, but the peace of mind knowing THAT gun is reliable with THAT ammo is worth it to me.

i'm a huge fan of weaponlights, but they must be properly used. You aren't supposed to leave them on to search a building, you're supposed to quickly flash the light on and off to positively ID a target. It'll save you from capping your daughter/partner/etc instead of the bad guy, and that's more important to me than the chance my position is given away by the light. The M3 is a great choice for a durable/reasonably priced pistol light.

Kahr makes fine weapons as well, and they usually come with great triggers on them. Can't mount the light, but they tend to conceal better than the thicker Glocks.

7. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

i dont have much (read any) experience using a weapons light in a tacticle type situation... i was thinking about it in the 'mostly on' mode or even flashing him with it but then leaving it on.. i could see the benifits of a quick and positive target id .. you'd just have to be well versed in it's use

8. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

As far as weapons lights, wouldnt head mounted night vision goggles solve that problem? Or am i mistaken.

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

sure, but they'd cost out the ass. good night vision is in the thousands of dollars area.

if you're buying a new glock, it'll have the rail on it so you can mount a weapon light to the rail, not the trigger guard. and i think a light is a good idea for home. not for carry, but if you don't have any other choice than a pistol for home defense, a light is a must, especially with other people in the house.

10. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

Still sticking with the night vision. :) Itll solve everything.

11. footratfunkface

yeah, including that problem of the extra money in your bank account. i know i've been looking for ways to go bankrupt, and now night vision is my solution.

12. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

:rofl: But so worth it. :bigthumb:

13. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

The sigs don't fit my hand well. I looked into teh H&Ks as well, but they're too bulky for my hands. I have small, girlie hands :o

I'm going to try my best to get a gun of each to test fire before i buy anything, but, like i said, it's looking hard. It all depends on what used guns come into my friend's shop and when our schedules work out to go to the range.

I've heard alot of people reccomending the 9mm, but he was pretty adament on the .40 being best for what I need. my shop is about 15 feet long, 10 feet wide (very small store) and the alley way is REAL narrow, then REAL open. The there's only one place someone can really get the jump on me or my business partner, and it'll be pretty confined. If anytihng, i'll only have a shot or 2, and it'll be pretty close range. Stopping power means more than accuracy with multiple rounds.

14. kellyclan

.40 isn't a bad choice for a beginner, just not the best. These days most cops have never handled a gun in their lives when they start the police academy and they learn on the popular .40 just fine. Yes, it is a better stopper than the 9mm, your friend is right. But as i said, it'll be easier to learn on the 9 and you can always trade up. You may only get one shot, but if it's a poor one because you developed a flinch from learning on too powerful a caliber, you're gonna need to attempt another poor shot...and another...etc

You won't be poorly armed with either. :)

15. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Get the Glock in .40 and get an aftermarket 9mm barrel for chepaer practice. Bar-sto, kkm precision, and jarvis make good barrels, you need to get aftermarket though because the outside diameter of the factory 9mm barrel won't fit the .40's.

16. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

:rofl:

17. footratfunkface

beretta vertec = fencepost.

18. kellyclan

To say nothing for the breech/extractor. :eek3: i definitely wouldn't try that swap.

19. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

It will be ok for practice, I just wouldn't reccomend it for carry. That is why I didn't mention it. Extractor and ejector are easy to replace/swap in and out, but not needed for casual range use. You can make a .40/.357 shoot 9mm, but not a 9mm shoot .40/.357 because of the breechface size difference, in case anyone was wondering. Also the .40/.357 are completely interchangeable with only a barrel swap, and using factory barrels are ok for that swap.