GUN handgun ammo newb

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Jan 22, 2006.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Would someone mind giving me a quick rundown of what the different parts are? For instance, what does the "grain" mean? Why is one more expensive than another? What type of ammo is cheapest? What type should I look for if I'm just target shooting?

2. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

Grain is the weight of the bullet

Price wise, it depends on what you are getting, hollow points are more expensive then normal ball ammo, for target shooting, you should just use cheap ball ammo, no need to waste hollow points on paper (unless of course you are choosing a carry ammo). The elevated price usually comes from the manufacturing of the ammo, its easier to just make full metal jacket or ball rounds then it is to make hollow points.

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

to expand on that there are 7000 grains in 1 lbs.

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

So a smaller grain should have a higher initial velocity but carry less as far as distance is concerned? Whats standard in handgun ammo?

I think I'll end up buying some ammo from www.ammoman.com. They have 9mm Wolf 115gr FMJ for $89/1000rds

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

No, how it loses velocity is dependent on it's drag coeff.

A lighter bullet will get more drift from wind than a heavier bullet though.

Within the same caliber, let's just say 9mm, then a lighter 9mm bullet will give you more velocity. If you up the weight of that 9mm bullet, then you'll have to give up some velocity to stay within the safe pressures of the gun.

Check to see if you have an Academy Sports around you. They cell CCI Blazer Aluminum for $77 for 1000 rounds. They also have Winchester brassed cased for $105 for 1000.

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

The closest Academy Sports is about 7.5 hours away in Nashville. It looks comparable to a few stores we do have around here (Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mtn., Cableas). I'll just check around.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

Holy shit.

8. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Im not seeing it that cheap

9. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

dont buy wolf, unless you like cleaning your gun

10. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm seeing it for $120, but they're offering free shipping so it's pretty cheap in the end :dunno:.

11. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Ye... But the other price rocked socks

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Sorry about that. The only thing I can think of is the $89 came from the number above the Wolf ammo...but thats $85 so I have no idea. Either way, I already ordered the Wolf ammo, and I don't have a problem cleaning my guns so I'll be fine.

The shipping is free, FYI. You need to email/fax/mail your license to them so they have it on file to prove you're 21, otherwise someone has to be home to sign for the package when it comes.

13. mvizos

mvizos New Member

Shipping is not free. Shipping is included in the price.

If shipping were free, the price would be the same whether you picked it up or had it shipped, and it isn't. Price is less for pickups than for shipped orders.

14. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Same difference. Bottom line is whether they bury the price of shipping in the cost of the ammo or not, the total cost is less than buying it in 99% of the places you'll find it (actually going to a store, not online). At $119 total cost, for 1,000 rounds you're paying $.12 per bullet. All things considered, thats pretty damn good.

15. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I think I remember seeing Gander Mtn. in Houston having some CCI Blazer Brassed case that wasn't too expensive. Check them out.

16. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Not really. Especially when you can get WWB at walmart for cheaper. Walk down there and you have your ammo right away.

17. mvizos

mvizos New Member

:werd: The closer you live to NJ, the more you are subsidizing the purchases of people that live farther away. If someone in oregon orders from ammoman, its going to cost him more to ship to them than it does to ship to me in virginia. It's not as good a deal for me. I'm paying extra in shipping that I shouldn't have to, because the shipping is already included in the price. The person is oregon is getting a great deal, because they aren't paying as much for shipping as they would if it were calculated for actual shipping costs.

I can get a better deal on 99% of my ammo by buying locally, either at local gunshops(defense ammo) / box stores(range ammo) or gun shows(oddball special purpose ammo).

18. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

With all the nay-saying about Wolf (although some say it doesn't matter) I did cancel my order. I'll go to Wally World and see if they have any WWB and compare prices to whats online.

19. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

pay more... your choice.. more Wolf for the rest of us :mamoru:

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: You know I've never heard of a kB caused by wolf either yet in the last couple weeks I've seen 2 on arfcom from WWB :mamoru:

21. striker754

striker754 Chillin

WWB is cheaper or as cheap as wolf. At least here.

I dont think you should have cancelled your order, but at least look around first

22. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

The only reason I canceled it was because of the size. The price is good, and I don't plan on not using Wolf. As I was reading around on various handgun forums I found that specific guns (as in this XD but not that XD) won't work with certain brands of ammo. I figure before I spend $120 on 1,000 rounds of Wolf that would be fairly difficult and time consuming and a general pain in the ass to resell, why not buy a box local and make sure it works out okay first. I'll go buy some Wolf, some WWB, some Remington, some whatever else I can get my hands on and see what I'm most accurate with and see what works and what doesn't. www.ammoman.com isn't going anywhere, and if I miss this sale no big deal, I'll catch the next or find it elsewhere.

23. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm one of the free-loader kinds who doesn't have a current subscription...so no search for me.