TAT Hand tattoos

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by grass, Aug 9, 2004.

1. grass

grass Guest

It's possible right?

I've walked into a few shops and they asked me to come back because the guy wasn't in? the guy that did this type of work?

What's the deal?

Is this location different then others? If so, how so?

Thanks,
    Nicholas

2. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

yea, hand tattoos are very possible and done all the time

3. grass

grass Guest

why do I have to find the right person to do this type of tattoo? maybe i'll try some other shops....?

4. phigity

phigity New Member

people get them all the time. i personally love jessie james's palm tattoo "pay up sucka!"

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

unless you are heavily tattoed, alot of shops wont tattoo your hands

6. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

because people still have stereotypes of tattooed/pierced people and they could lose their career, they'll get looked down upon by 'society' because they're tattooed. it sucks, but thats the way it is

7. Grouch

Grouch Guest

that must had hurt.

I wish in Oceans 11 they would have shown Brad Pitts tattoo on his hand/arm

8. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

Must hurt... but I think it's cool as hell.

9. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

yep, pretty much so.. and theres nothing you can really do to cover a hand tattoo short of wearing gloves all the time

10. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

not true. if you arent heavily tattooed, any reputable artist will and should try to talk you out of getting your hands/neck/face tattooed

11. bigmick

bigmick The plane takes off OT Supporter

Why should they try and talk you out of it? I can understand if they make you aware of the social stigma and try and ensure that you realise the long term commitment to a tattoo, but if you want to do it, I don't think they should talk you out of it.

12. I have a shooting star on my foot so i dont see why they couldn't have on on the hands!

13. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

and how often do you show your feet at job interviews??

14. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

its just something thats done. there's unwritten rules in the tattoo industry, most artists follow them, and one of them is to try and talk people out of those type of tattoos. at my shop we usually tell the person to take a week or two and think about it, if they still want it then we'll do it. if they choose to go elsewhere, then so be it

15. phigity

phigity New Member

i've brought this up to a few shops around town and all of them say they won't do it unless your overly persistent or already have a lot of tats. i would do the same thing if i was a tattoo artist.

16. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

Not to hijack the original thread,but i can see where an artist would be hesitant to do a more visible tattoo like the hand, neck, etc. When i got my back done, it was to have lines that came up to the tip of my hairline. We discussed this and when he drew it on my back, it came short of my collar. I said i loved it.. but wanted the lines higher. He balked for a second, made sure i knew that it would be visible at all times unless my hair covered it, and asked what profession i was in. "Im studying to be a teacher." He said, "you realize that this will show and that parents will see it, your boss will see it.." I said i appreciated his concern but this tattoo was something i had been working on for a long time and yes, even the small detail of how high it went mattered to me. It was only then that he relaxed about it and placed it higher. I can totally appreciate his concern. To me, it shows more than professionalism, it shows genuine concern for your client.

17. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

I should be able to come up with the pics this weekend. I left my digital in Dallas visiting a few months ago but my friend is shipping it back to me.

18. grass

grass Guest

I understand what everyone is saying, and where the artist is coming from if they question a tattoo like this.

This will be my first tattoo but not my last. I've been thinking about it for a long time now and it's what I want. The only place it will 'work' is right on my hand (will post pictures after I get it done)

If a place doesn't want to hire me because I have ink on my hand, fuck them. seriously.

19. QUEEN BLUE

QUEEN BLUE Guest

I've been working on some art for the back of my neck and hopefully my tattoo guy won't give me any problems.

20. grass

grass Guest

Your first tattoo also?

21. QUEEN BLUE

QUEEN BLUE Guest

no I have 4 right now

22. pir8penguin

pir8penguin Guest

Cherry, my s/o just started her second year of teaching 2nd grade in a rural county. She has two tattoos, one of which is never visible in professional attire (small flower on her toe) and one that pops out semi-regularly (fairy-design, typical middle of lower back). i don't think any more than one of her students has ever seen the one on her back... it's one more thing to think about, but covering it becomes instinct after a while.

i can see the point... these people are professionals, and i think any good artist is going to keep your best interests and your healt in mind. hell, they've probably thought of some things you wouldn't. let them try to talk you out of it. if they can, then you obviously didn't want it that bad anyway.

23. StarDamage

StarDamage Good grief! OT Supporter

I think it does all come down to professionalism on the tattooist part. If he or she is asking about the placement of the tat then they are obviously concerned for you and the consequences the placement may have. I would be more concerned if they didnt care at all.I have my sleeve done and made the choice to get it done starting from about 2.5inches up my arm. This way it can be covered when at work. I talked about this with the tattooist and we both came to the conclusion that this, for me, was the best place to start. I work in a library so i dont think I would be getting any tats done on my hand, but good luck to you. Some people i have met have some unreal ones on tops of their hands and their palms.