GUN hand gun first one

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kutkota, Jan 7, 2005.

1. kutkota

kutkota New Member

hello all, please bear with me. I am turning 21 here in a two months actually and am looking for a fairly cheap, under $500, hand gun. I want to carry it but like the feel of the larger frame handguns. Only one I have shot was a full frame, no name gun that my buddy owns. There are no places close that i can go and handle rent or shoot the guns. I would like some ideas. Anyhelp would be great.

2. soccaian

soccaian New Member

if you are looking for a gun that is inexpensive, fun, and easy to shoot, look into a 22 caliber pistol from any of the major manufacturers (browning, beretta, and ruger are 3 i would recommend)

these guns will run about $250 and ammo is the cheapest you can find at 550 rounds for ~$9

do not think these guns owuld suffice for a concealed carry weapon as they are not nearly powerful enough.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Rugers are great to learn on and will last forever (Mark II (.22) or P-series (9mm-.45acp))

also consider a Springfield XD-9 or XD-40.. and squeeking in on $500 range would be a Glock

One thing though.. if you dont have a place to go shoot it.. what are you getting it for?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  4. kutkota

kutkota New Member

sorry plenty of places to shoot it, no places to rent and shoot.

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

if he wants a carry gun then why are you fools recommending .22's? :ugh:

6. Y2kAccord

ITs a great gun to start off with and learn on.. and some Idiot on OT carries one :mamoru:

7. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Try to look for a used Glock, 9mm is a good calibre to start off with and the Glock is very KISS friendly.

8. soccaian

soccaian New Member

i must have missed the part in his post where he said he wanted to carry it as his personal weapon.

i was simply recommending good starter guns... :dunno:

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Don't forget the Steyr models. great guns at great prices.

10. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

factory reconditioned Sig 226, I've seen them around here for 500-550.

11. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

Ruger P89.

You will pay 250-300. 15 round ruger mags, 17 round hi cap mec-gar mags, 20-25-30 round hi cap mags.

Reliable, over built, large frame, shoots straight, never jams.

$11 Winchester white box 100 round value packs are hard to beat. The money you save on ammo will add up and let you buy a new gun.

If price is an issue, get the Ruger P series in 9mm. The army just bought 5000 Ruger KP95D models, and if they are good enough for the army they are good enough for you.
    http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/News-12-23-2004.html
    http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=3094&return=Y - KP95D
    http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=3042&return=Y - p89

I have spoken.

12. Y2kAccord

I miss my P-89 I told my friend that if he wants to get rid of it I might buy it back from him.. :hs:

13. chakup

chakup Guest

I have a P89 as my first hand gun. Great reliable gun, will feed anything. It would be a little big for concealed carry though imho.

14. Y2kAccord

They make another Ruger P-series I think its the P-95 that is polymer and smaller and would be better for carry, but would have the same reliability

15. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

The Ruger P's are reliable and priced well but god are they bulky. It's like holding a cinder block. As others have said, if you don't have a lot of shooting experience a .22 will make it easier for you to learn proper shooting technique. I carry an Arcus 98 DA compact 9mm. It was $250 new and is dead nuts accurate and reliable. It weighs about the same as my friend's 9mm Ruger Pxx but is smaller in every dimension, especially width, and IMO shoots better. If you want to go the Glock route, check out the Springfield XD's, they're about $100 cheaper and have a better trigger.

16. Y2kAccord

Not all Rugers are full size and bulky as I said before. I would check out the SA XD-40 I love mine

17. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

I just got my first gun... picked up a Glock 34 through my part time job used.
    Employee discount was nice :)

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

drive somewhere where you can rent and shoot handguns. buying a gun without using it, on the sole opinions of another person, is pretty dumb.

1911 / Glock / Sig / USP / etc... they're all great guns -- but no two people will be guaranteed the same opinions of them. Some will work for you, and some will not. You will be more acurate with some than others.

Seriously, if you have to drive an hour to try em out, make a day of it before you buy.

19. Insured by HK

Insured by HK New Member

This topic has been pretty thoroughly covered, so I don't really have anything new to add. As others have mentioned, there are many guns out there that, while great on paper, won't be good for you for subjective reasons like size, shape, or ergonomics. Definitely take the time to test a weapon before you invest the significant dollars it takes to get a good one.

There are several excellent, VERY high-quality weapons out there that are also bargains. The two top bargains IMO are the SIG Pro series (selling NIB for $399 here in WA) and the Springfield XD series (also around that pricing). Great, reliable guns that will give you excellent service. First and foremost, I'm a SIG man myself. My daily carry is an HK though, and those are superb weapons. They command pretty steep prices though.

20. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Get a DAO(Double-action Only) or "safe-action" automatic. There are many manufacturers that make models of their guns with DAO triggers. It is safe, simple to operate, and teach great fundamentals.

21. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

:werd: There's so much out there. I started with a .38 revolver and still have it. Being i didnt know shit about semi-auto to start with. A revolver never jams and u know exactly how many rounds you got left. Dependable and reliable. On the other hand I bought several "clone" type pistols (semi-autos)
    to learn with. Now i have stuff i know about and am happy with. I know i'll get shit about it but i like my taurus PT92 AF, 15+1 9mm chrome barrel( i didnt do it), decock, new grips and such. Basicly the same as a Berreta 92. anyways i like it got it 5 years ago or so for $200(used) and 2 hi cap mags.:)

22. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Glock 19-$400
    doesn't get much better for a first timer going out there buying and maintaining a gun. And where do you live that no place rents guns?

23. Insured by HK

Insured by HK New Member

While DAO guns aren't entirely without merit, they're more the product of civil litigation then anything else, and with the possible exception of some new weapons, are a pain in the ass in terms of the constant, long DA pull. There is no replacement for good safe gun handling and good practice, something DAO weapons were in many ways invented to replace.

Now, the new guns by HK and SIG (the LEM and DAK triggers respectively) might be different stories, because they have all the advantages and none of the compromises of DAO guns with their "hybrid" triggers. Supposedly that is, since I've not had the chance to fire either.

24. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

CZ75B. It's dirt cheap, but it's very reliable and has decent accuracy.