halp with wireless internets

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by insomnia, Mar 21, 2008.

1. insomnia

insomnia New Member

i've got 2 problems that drive me fucking crazy and they're both similar :wtc:

one is that on my laptop if I'm connected to wireless and the computer hibernates or goes into standby, when it comes out I can't use the internet. it will connect to my network or someone else's, but firefox/IE/any program will just display "page not found, check connections" or whatever. nothing I try works, with the exception of completely restarting the computer. once everything is restarted it works fine :mad: :wtf:

number 2... on my desktop every once in awhile it will stop going to some web pages and acts like it's not connected to the web. the thing is, it will still go to one or two sites (usually woot.com). NOTHING else will come up, just woot, everything else can't be displayed. this problem started after I hooked up a wireless router, but there's a hardline coming from the router to the desktop. even while pages won't display and the internet acts like it's dead i'm still able to use msn messenger and shit, it's just 99% of websites (this is for IE and firefox)

anyone else go through this shit? i'd appreciate any halp :sadwavey:

2. Chris

Chris New Member

well, to solve problem 1 you should just repair the wireless connection which restarts the connection instead of having to restart the computer.

and about #2, most likely you are totally losing your connection to the internet when pages stop loading, you are only seeing woot because its in your cache (unless you bought the dedicated fiber connection to their servers they were offering a while back for increased odds of getting a BOC)

but overall it sounds like your router is dying; see if the manufacturer has any firmware updates or see if your router is supported by any third party software like www.dd-wrt.com

3. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

you need the zero wireless config from microsoft

4. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

with regards to question 2, disable the 'authentication'. I assume you are running vista? This sounds like that fucking annoying bug that everyone struggled with like a year ago. What SP are you @?

5. insomnia

insomnia New Member

this isn't the problem, even if I connect to someone else's wireless I still can't do anything. tried disconnecting, reconnecting everything. even tried using Broadcom wireless utility to connect instead of Windows, same problem persists. it does it everywhere too... my place, my gf's, public wireless etc.

it's not pages in my cache... one of the other sites that occasionally works is Married to the Sea... I can completely explore the site and all the comics from a different month will load, but when I try to go to any other website it won't work. I can even close out IE or Firefox, open it back up, NO PAGE will work but I can go back to married to the sea and continue opening new links of their archive :wtf:

I will try the different software when I get back to my place, but I just updated the firmware to the latest version and the problem is still there :hs:

6. insomnia

insomnia New Member

that is Enabled, running and set to Automatic start up

i have XP on the laptop and XP (Pro?) on the desktop, I should have mentioned that in the first post.

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

for problem #1, sometimes it helps if you go into device manager, find your wireless card, right click -> properties, and either in an advanced tab or "power management" (will be different depending on the card) if there is an option in there for "put this hardware to sleep" or anything to do with powermanagement, turn it off.

Not all network hardware have this option, but i've had this issue before, and turning that off sometimes helps.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

for prob 1, what happens when you try ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew?

for prob 2, any firewalls? can you ping sites? if not, can you ping using the site's IP address?

have you tried resetting the router? tried power cycling the modem?