Halp: Took out CPU to add thermal grease, put it back in, BIOS says CPU has changed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by e_man182, Jan 16, 2008.

1. e_man182

e_man182 PedoBear's Apprentice

All right OT, I needs your help. :o I consider myself slightly savvy about computers, but I've been trying to tackle this problem for two days now to no avail. I'll start by listing my computer specs:

Windows XP
    AMD 3700+ Processor
    2Gb DDR Ram
    EPOX 9NPA+SLI Motherboard, Socket 939
    BFG nVidia 7900 GT Video Card
    Creative Audigy SE Sound Card
    500 Watt PSU
    Two 160Gb Seagate HDDs

Here is the problem I've been having. The computer worked fine ever since I built it, except after awhile the CPU began overheating. It would start up fine, but it would always idle at 48-52C (Max is 65) and shoot up at random. I figured the problem was the thermal paste, so I bought some off Amazon, opened my computer, and used a can or compressed air to clean the inside to make sure dust wasn't causing heat buildup. Then I removed the heatsink from my CPU and noticed there was barely any thermal paste left. I removed the CPU from the motherboard, cleaned off the old thermal paste residue from both the heatsink and CPU, applied new thermal paste, reinserted the CPU into my motherboard, and put the heatsink back on.

Now when I started up my computer, problems arose. The bios screen has flickering horizontal lines and pixels all over. There are random splotches of pixels and colors all around the screen. I can read that the Bios says CPU HAS CHANGED, so I went into setup and chose "Use Optimum settings", saved and quit. The computer restarts with the same issues. When I try to go into Windows, the monitor gets a "No Signal" response. I tried reinstalling Windows, and now the computer starts up fine, it loads Windows and everything, but the same flickering pixels and screen tearing persist. But when I am on the Desktop and go into Device Manager, no devices are listed. I try installing driver for my video card, thinking that the messed up screen was due to no video card drivers, but it says I can't install it because my computer is not a 64 bit system. I try installing my sound card driver and it says it doesn't recognize such a device on my system. I can't even access the internet, either. I tried going to Epox's site on my laptop to download my motherboard drivers and transfer them with a thumb drive, but even when I install them it still won't recognize my computer's devices.

I don't know what to do. I find the problem especially weird because I am able to boot into Windows and use my desktop, so I assume there is no hardware problem. And if it isn't a hardware problem, what is wrong and how do I fix it? Hopefully OT Tech gurus can help. :sadwavey:

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

reset cmos
    enter bios, check if all devices are detected, save and exit
    re-install drivers

if that don't work, reseat cpu, vid card, and ram.

3. e_man182

e_man182 PedoBear's Apprentice

Gonna do that now, will report back soon.

4. dura

dura Guest

If there's a jumper on the board for the FSB, make sure you didn't make it fall off or something. It happens sometimes.

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I think I would do this first. And check the FSB jumper, as mentioned.

6. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

I would also say re-seat... when you push the bar down to clamp the CPU in, make sure you have one finger pushing down on the cpu. I had a similar problem with a 939 and reseating with pressure applied fixed it.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Check the video card. It is possible it came loose from the socket. A loose video card can cause the graphical problems you have described.
    Also check that the memory is still seated correctly.

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Oh, what kind of processor is it?
    Is it a 775?
    Cause those things can be a bitch to get in and out.