Halo install , XP crash

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChickenH, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ChickenH

ChickenH Enita non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

So Im helping someone with their xp home pc. IT has a fresh install of Xp 500 meg ram 1.7 gig processer( probably not quite what the game was designed for but it used to work.) NVIDIA vid card. HALO used to work on it before we f disked the hard drives. but now it has a Fresh new OS After HALO is installed and you start the game it plays the video at the start of the game and then stalls and blue screen of death occurs.:wtc: No other programs have any trouble except games. and windows recovers fine after the crash witch restarts the computer.

Im guessing it has something to do with :
    On board graphics still being enabled?

IRQ conflict with USB controller?
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
    IRQ 16 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host Controller.
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 direct memory access controller
    I/O Port 0x000003c0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP controller
    I/O Port 0x000003c0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce fx 5500

My computer has the same type card and clicks the monitor off and back on and displays the Nvidia settings as it starts up but his does not. Is there something in BIOS i need to turn off to turn off the on board graphics or something ?:noes:
    :sadwavey:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If only games cause problems, then there's probably something wrong with DirectX. Make sure you've installed BOTH DirectX AND the latest NVidia software for your VGA card. Don't settle for the software WindowsUpdate downloads, go get it from the NVidia website.

Onboard video cards automatically disable themselves when the motherboard detects an AGP video card plugged into the AGP slot. Just to be sure, I suppose you could always connect the VGA cable to the onboard video and see if you get a picture.

3. ChickenH

ChickenH Enita non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

I fixed it by downloading new driver for the mother board and a newer Nvidia driver.