A&P Half-pressed shutter, re-compose, light meter doesn't adjust properly?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Oct 25, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Yeah my thread title sucks something awful but I didn't know how to describe my question in a few words. I have my D80's AE-L button set to only lock the exposure, and the shutter button I thought would only lock the focus (unless I have it in continuo focus mode of course).

Let's say I have the camera in Aperture priority set to f/4. So why can I, say, focus on my foot and get 1/125, keep the shutter button half pressed, swing the camera up and point it at the sun, but the light meter only changes to like 1/500? Then if I let go of the shutter button altogether while it is still pointed at the sun, then it shoots up to 1/2000+ or whatever as would make sense.

I thought the point of only locking the focus meant that I could recompose and the exposure would change accordingly. Why does it only change so much?

2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

what focus setting are you in?

AF-A
    AF-S
    AF-C?

3. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

AF-S.

4. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

hmm.

i would just use manual.

i don't like using A/S priority

5. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

Once you get push the AE-L/AF-L button it will lock the exposure, you will see a AE-L icon in your viewfinder and you'll notice it will no longer meter the light. And you shoot however you like at that exposure

6. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

I didn't press the AE-L button. I only mentioned it that I had it set to lock exposure, and therefor thought the shutter release would lock the focus. I suppose the AE-L button is irrelevant to my question and I shouldn't have mentioned it.