GUN Half Of U.S. Gun Deaths Are Suicides

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paul Revere, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

http://www.ktvu.com/health/16752169/detail.html?treets=fran&taf=fran

The Supreme Court's landmark ruling on gun ownership last week focused on citizens' ability to defend themselves from intruders in their homes. But research shows that surprisingly often, gun owners use the weapons on themselves.

Suicides accounted for 55 percent of the nation's nearly 31,000 firearm deaths in 2005, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

There was nothing unique about that year - gun-related suicides have outnumbered firearm homicides and accidents for 20 of the last 25 years. In 2005, homicides accounted for 40 percent of gun deaths. Accidents accounted for 3 percent. The remaining 2 percent included legal killings, such as when police do the shooting, and cases that involve undetermined intent.

Public-health researchers have concluded that in homes where guns are present, the likelihood that someone in the home will die from suicide or homicide is much greater.

Studies have also shown that homes in which a suicide occurred were three to five times more likely to have a gun present than households that did not experience a suicide, even after accounting for other risk factors.

In a 5-4 decision, the high court on Thursday struck down a handgun ban enacted in the District of Columbia in 1976 and rejected requirements that firearms have trigger locks or be kept disassembled. The ruling left intact the district's licensing restrictions for gun owners.

One public-health study found that suicide and homicide rates in the district dropped after the ban was adopted. The district has allowed shotguns and rifles to be kept in homes if they are registered, kept unloaded and taken apart or equipped with trigger locks.

The American Public Health Association, the American Association of Suicidology and two other groups filed a legal brief supporting the district's ban. The brief challenged arguments that if a gun is not available, suicidal people will just kill themselves using other means.

More than 90 percent of suicide attempts using guns are successful, while the success rate for jumping from high places was 34 percent. The success rate for drug overdose was 2 percent, the brief said, citing studies.

Researchers in other fields have raised questions about the public-health findings on guns.

A researcher at Florida State University estimates there are more than 1 million incidents each year in which firearms are used to prevent an attack. Some public-health experts have said the telephone survey the finding is based on likely resulted in an overestimate.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

In other news, you're more likely to die in a car crash if you drive a car.

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

How dare the accuse those good people who had technical difficulties cleaning their firearms of committing suicide.

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

My question is how in the hell can 10% of suicide attempts using a gun actually fail?

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

9mm :mamoru:

I kid, I own a 9.

6. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

but significantly less likely to be killed by a motor vehicle if you spend your life inside a concrete bunker.

on the other hand, if you don't ever own a gun, you are less likely to be killed by gun ... though the mugger you could have defended yourself from will now kill you with a knife.

7. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

now that we know the truth, lets just ban peoples, this will prevent them from killing themsevles

8. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Didn't choose a high enough building, apparently. :o

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Superman :o

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And how depressing does it have to be after?

"I'm such a failure I couldn't even kill myself!"

11. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Ban emo.

12. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Good to know for that one time you are arguing with a a diehard anti.

Anti douche:
    "I mean like guns are bad. Did you know that the US has an average of 30,000 gun related deaths a year blah blah blah..."

Me:
    "So you probably are already aware that more than 50% of those deaths were suicides... :hsugh:"

Anti douche:
    "But...but...but...guns are bad, they kill babies blah blah blah... :greddy:"

13. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

I'm curious what gang crime takes up of the rest. My guess would be at least 20%.

14. Ghostrider4450

Dont you know? At least 39% of it is guns growing legs and a brain and going out to kill babies, nuns, schoolchildren and old women.

15. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Women seem to attempt suicide (usually with drugs) to get attention because they're distraught and evidently that's some enabling mechanism to seek treatment. Men seem to commit suicide as some final act of self-destruction should life become untolerable - and tend to use more effective means like firearms or jumping.

Lack of ready access to firearms may cut down on the number of successes, but that's hardly addressing the root of the problem. Like it or not, a number of people are going to commit suicide even if some means are not available. And no matter what the mental health people say, they're not all crazy and needing treatment - for many it's a rational, level-headed choice...

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:gives:

maybe we should ban rope, pain pills, knives, razor blades, tall buildings, etc. :ugh:

17. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Gas stoves, idling vehicles in enclosed garages, bridges over treacherous waters...

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

son of a bitch.

motor vehicles, enclosed spaces, buckets and chairs (along with the rope), combustible substances and h2o. :eek4:

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Hey japan is trying to ban large knives! Lets do that!

20. Ghostrider4450

Yeah I can see that getting brought up. It really isnt worth it in the end if the person is a real die hard anti. Now someone who still has a somewhat open mind is worth the time and effort.