SRS Half-measures availed us nothing

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by eligh, Aug 10, 2004.

1. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

In the past, I was the king of half-measures. I knew I was a drug addict, but I didn't believe alcohol was a drug. So about 11 months ago, I decided to stop using drugs and start drinking. I'll be completely honest, life did get better, and in my eyes I was doing the right thing. I still did things dishonestly, I was running on self will, I got a girl drunk, got laid and I thought I was the man. I still cheated on a test here and there, I thought was better than everyone, I was convinced my will was supreme. Things seemed better than they had been in years, but I was fooling myself, I was trying to teach myself how to walk through life on life's terms. For an addict like me, that's not possible. Then I relapsed to drugs, and hit an all time low. This is the worst pain I've EVER experienced, I couldn't use enough drugs to mask the pain.

Well, after that I walked through the doors of Narcotics Anonymous, and my life began to change dramatically. I now have a support system, and work honesty in my life, and it makes a huge difference. Not only that, I no longer run on self-will, my Higher Power puts awesome things in my path. The time has come when I am getting laid again, except this time I have 7 months clean full of awesome life experience under my belt. So I sit back and take perspective, and one thing comes to my mind, half-measures availed us nothing. My life is far greater than it ever has been, God's will for me beat's self-will's ass ...

If you are in a position where you are considering walking through the doors of a 12-step program ... get there as fast as you can, and anounce yourself as a newcomer and begin to tackle life on life's terms ... it will save you a lot of pain if you avoid half-measures. If you care to share about attempted half-measures, tell us about how it worked out. Thanks for reading.

2. Jackanapes

Jackanapes turbodirectinjection OT Supporter

It sounds like your journey has been a tough one. Just keep in mind what you had to go through to get to where you are today. Be mindful to stay humble and rigorously honest.

Congratulations on your length of sobriety. Like I've been known to say in meetings sometimes, It can be tough, but it's more real. In the long run, keepin' it real makes it not so tough.

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Thanks, yeah I was definitely beat down, and had to grow up a whole lot in the last 7 months. I've been trying to maintain humility and continue to enjoy meetings, but it can be difficult. I'm beginning to hear a few of the same things from the same people again, but helping out a newcomer after the meeting and telling him about other good meetings never really gets old ... we keep what we have by giving it away.

4. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

can i steal that?
    :eek3:

i like it

5. Jackanapes

Jackanapes turbodirectinjection OT Supporter

Sure :) I don't know half the time if I can have an orignal thought or if I'm stealing it myself.

6. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

:cool: you guys are great - good thing there are newcomers and old timers, life never gets too boring - when my meetings bug me, I just go to a couple different ones, and get out of the rut awhile. its an awesome life today