Hail Damage ADVICE v. PICS VID

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by CPcrazyfly, May 3, 2006.

1. CPcrazyfly

CPcrazyfly New Member

Ok so a few weeks ago we had some tornados come thru, large hail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got some major dents on hood, roof, sides, and trunk of my 04 Mazda 3. Im not going to be shy about how much its been estimated, my insurance company estimate was roughly $4200.00, i pay $500 deductable, so i got my check for $3700.00.

I took it over to the place my Mazda dealership recomended, and they estimated almost $5800.00 involving completely replacing many panels such as the roof, hood, and some sides. along with a whole new paint job on the whole car minus the bumpers.

I also took it to a place that will remove the dents, rather than remove, replace, and repaint. ive seen their work and its good. and i was quoted roughly $2700.00 plus the cost to buy a small part he cant remove dents from.

now i ask, is it better to get all new panels and new paint job rather than keep the original paint that cant be duplicated, i dont believe it can look quite as good as original. any downsides to getting the dents removed rather than replacing panels. this place has to do a good job in removing the dents, the bank wont sign off on my check til they inspect the repairs.

[​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

A good PDR guy can probably make your car look practically perfect without the risk of a typically shitty dealer body shop screwing up your car.

BTW, why didn't you get estimatesfrom the dealer before accepting a check from your insurance company? Even though I'd suggest going with the PDR guy or an independent body shop, you might have got a bigger check out of it!

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I agree totally. That job looks like it'd be an ideal candidate for PDR. The only piece I'd question is that trim in the seam on the roof, may need to be replaced.

That'd be a hell of alot better than having body filler (potentially) in the panels and painted over by a body shop. Not to mention that you're also retaining the integrity of the factory paint that way. :bigthumb: