HAHAHA! v. Right click

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kix, May 23, 2005.

1. Kix

Kix Jailbait tested, Milf approved

I had no idea you could right click till i plugged in my PC mouse to use the scroll wheel. Looks like the dumbass mac bashers should find a new arguement.

2. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

its still stupid that apple doesnt include a mouse with more than one button as standard, and not to mention no scroll wheel

3. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

i dont usually mac bash. but has a point. scroll wheels are in and most programs do require a right mouse button (or support it).

4. Halon X

Halon X New Member

Here is the best explination I've found.

Although I can envision a day where Apple will ship with a two button mouse, they have really, really, really good reasons for sticking to a one button mouse.
    The first reason deals with the technical ability of the average computer user. Having once worked doing technical support, let me explain one very common point of frustration for techs. Here is an example:

Me: Right click on “My Computer”
    Caller: Right?
    Me: The right mouse button
    Caller: Oh, okay...Now there’s a menu.
    Me: Select “Manage”
    Caller: okay
    Me: Double click on ‘Device Manager’
    Caller: Left or right click?

I kid you not, ten times a day I would talk to someone who has never right clicked in their life. After they first do it, they will ASK YOU EVERY TIME if they should right click or left click. Now, though we may not be the typical computer user, Apple is always concerned with creating a user experience that is as intuitive as possible. Giving the average person a right mouse button is like giving a bald man a comb.

Secondly, Apple wants all developers to follow their interface guidelines. The reason for this is tied into what I wrote above. If every application can be expected to work the same way, the learning curve for the user is minimized. Apple has gone through great pains and great expense to study human-computer interaction. Because of these studies, one thing Apple insists on is that every feature of an application should be accessible through menu items. It’s great and even encouraged to create additional ways of accessing features, but at a bare minimum, you should be able to reach it from the menu.

To this end, many developers get lazy, and implement something that can only be accomplished through a right mouse click. By shipping their computers with a single mouse button, developers are forced to recognize that cutting corners this way isn’t acceptable. Though developers are free to build things through right mouse clicks, they can’t rely on the capability, and are forced to include another means of accessing it.

The third reason is a bit market driven. Those of us who like multi-button mice really like multi-button mice. To this end, if I were to buy a Dell, or HP, or any other mass market computer, I will get a mouse with two buttons and maybe a scroll wheel. What’s the first thing I do? Throw that mouse out for a four-button, five-button or N-button mouse, because it’s inherently better than the mouse I got.
    But I also know that I am in the minority. Most computer users are perfectly happy with the mouse they get. And most of them never touch the right mouse button. So, if I and a small percentage of users will throw away our stock mouse for a customized one, why should Apple even bother to ship one with two buttons? It won’t be good enough for me or you and it only confuses the majority of the computer using market, why bother?

Folks, those are the reasons Apple ships a one-button mouse. Will that change? At some point yeah. But Apple is in no hurry to ship something that they believe no one will use.

Taken from here:
    http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/why_apple_makes_a_one_buttoned_mouse_01280820/

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:werd: ...and i've been using two or more button mice on my macs for the last ten years.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's not the point. We all know that you CAN use a 2-button mouse... But the idea that it's not stock is what I find disturbing. You want to live with 1 button... fine... But you'd think the mac-gods would at least require a scrollwheel! Because, God-forbid an aftermarket mouse not match PERFECTLY with everything else! :mamoru:

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

how often do you keep the mouse that comes with your computer anyways?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I build my own computers... so if you mean the mouse that I get with my computer, then always :o

9. Kix

Kix Jailbait tested, Milf approved

well actually that IS the point, but ok. and why would you use a stock mouse? i agree about the scroll wheel, they should do something about that, but ill stick with my mx1k anyways so i could really care less

10. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

I still have the trackpad mouse from our family's old windows 98 computer. :hs:

11. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

ctrl + mouse click gives you the same effect of the right button