Had to reformat my main PC. Now my network (+wireless) doesn't work??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bojangles6, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

As you can see, my main computer can get online. However my other ones can't I have a laptop which uses wireless and another PC which connects through a cable that plugs straight into my router. I know its probably something horribly noobish thats fucking everything up. This comp is hooked up to the router also. I'm just not understanding why everything else isn't working. This happened right after the format. Any help? Please?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Could be a bunch of things... You could start by shutting the machines off and powercycling the router/modem. Turn them back on one by one.

What are the IP addresses of the machines? Run ipconfig /all on the machines that can't connect. Make sure the deafult gateway is the IP of the router and make sure all IP's are in the same subnet.

Do you have DHCP turned on in the router?
    If you see a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP, then it means the router couldn't give the mahcine an IP address.

As for the wireless, do you have any sort of security set up?

3. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

If you see a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP, then it means the router couldn't give the mahcine an IP address.

I'm seeing that. :(. DHCP should be turned on. I haven't messed with the router settings at all. After I formatted the Pc I'm on (my main PC) everything fucked up. I have no clue.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you either didn't install your chipset/nic drivers, or you installed the wrong ones. (alternatively -- and signifgantly less likely -- your router utilizes static ip addressing and does not support dhcp, so your system wouldn't pull an ip. Again, this is not likely)

5. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

Its about a year old Linksys. Installed the wrong ones where? My formatted system is working fine. But for some reason the others aren't now. I didn't change anything on those and they worked before. After formatting this machine it seems like everything went to hell.

6. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

Power cycle worked. Thanks for all the help!