SRS Had to put my dog down today.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CoachK_R, Dec 27, 2008.

1. CoachK_R

CoachK_R Member

:wtc:
    Buddy was 14. We had him his whole life. Heartworm disease - we couldn't watch him suffer any more. One of the hardest things I've done in my life was holding him while the vet gave him the shot. My wife couldn't stay in the room.
    He was really her dog.
    If you have dogs, PLEASE get them on heartworm prevention medication. He was an old dog, and had some other health issues - he probably wouldn't have lived much longer anyway. But to know that this was preventable... I feel so terrible. I have been putting myself through hell all day.

2. Fathr O'Blivion

Fathr O'Blivion New Member

My deepest condolences, it must be very hard... however, heartworm preventive is a very basic need that should be a routine part of any dog's maintenance.

May Buddy's demise be a wake up call for those that don't properly maintain their pet's ongoing health.

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:hug:

Mine passed away was 6 years ago. The good news is the pain goes away and you remember all the happy memories that will always bring a smile to your face. Sometimes I still have dreams in whcih he is back, and all I can think about is trying to grab a hold of him so he won't go away again.

4. wrwarwick

wrwarwick OT Supporter

I have a dog. It hurts me when I think about how I KNOW he is going to go before me, and I will have to go through that :(

5. ondizo

ondizo New Member

For a pet owner, perhaps the most painful thing to endure is what you did today. Don't blame yourself. Focus on the 14 years of joy you shared with your dog, Buddy.

6. 2500

2500 Guest

He was old, but still, Heartworm meds are like, common practice in any dog owner I know. Hard to believe you made it 14 years without a vet telling you the bad things that can happen when you don't give your dog heartworm preventatives. Not to come down on you in your grieving period, but seriously, take better responsability for animals if you choose to get them. I've had to learn what special treatments all my different animals need, but once you have them, even if it's inconvienient or a hassle, you must do them. Dogs, cats, birds, fish, lizards, I have them all, and all have much more needs than what meets the eye. You wouldn't think lizards would be much work, but I need to dust crickets with calcium dust, maintain proper temp and humidity at all times, spray them before they shed so it's easier, clean their tanks every 2 weeks, mix special diets for some of my lizards, it's alot of work keeping pets, so hopefully the next one you get, you do some research on and follow the vets orders on how to properly keep pets. I worked in pet stores, I have many pets, so it bothers me when I hear people neglecting their pets and having it result in death. In any event, at least he's not suffering anymore.

7. scoman

scoman New Member

Wow man. My condolences. That is absolutely heart breaking. I love animals. Especially dogs. I have 3 dogs. Two of em are rescue dogs. And one of the rescue dogs is getting up their in age. Probably 12 or 13.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Sorry you had to go through this. Did not ever think about this disease.

8. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Sorry for your loss. I realize it's very distressing to think that you could have saved your dog with meds but you didn't know and you can't predict the future. I also think it's unnecessary to give a dog medication every day for something it does not have. I feel the same way about humans. Pretty much everything is preventable, but you can't take pills for everything. I'm sure that would cost a lot of money to give your dogs the meds every day as well. Like you said he was an old dog and it was just his time to go.

So are you saying it's this guy's fault his dog died? FFS it was 14 years old.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  9. 2500

2500 Guest

First 3 words pal "HE WAS OLD." I know he was old, but needless to say, the dog died of heartworm. What are you just following me around this damn forum tonight picking at everything I say?

10. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

I don't have a sub so I can't follow you around. You just seem to pop up in all the threads I feel like replying to tonight.

I did a little more research on heartworm medication and I guess it's a monthly dose so it may not be as expensive as I thought. To the people that give their dogs heartworm meds how much does it cost you? Are there any side effects you've noticed?

11. 2500

2500 Guest

I use heartgard, first of every month. I get the pills, not the chewables. Just wrap the pill into a piece of cheese or bread, or if they don't mind pills, give it to them like a treat. They have 3 or 4 weight classes so make sure you give them the right one. If you have a very young puppy, check with the vet so you know when to start. Costs maybe 20 bucks, for I think a 6 month supply. I just used my last one on Dec 1, so it's been months since I bought it. I think it's 6 month, I'll let you know in a few days when I buy my next boxes for my 2 dogs. Any vet should have them for sale, but I'd go with Heartgard. No side effects that I know of.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

sorry for your loss.

13. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

So sorry to hear :( My German Shepherd was 14 when she was put down in 1999, due to lyme disease in her kidneys. I still start to well up when I think of her sometimes. You'll be able to think of all the good times you'd had together though - you'll never lose the memories.

I hate to think of how my two cats are not going to outlive me, that in 15 years or so, I'll lose them. I've had a lot of pets, it never gets easier.

14. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its beyond terrible when something like that happends. I couldn't do it, when my cat's time arrived i cried uncontrollably , my father had to take our beautifull princess to the vet for that last time, i had to set my mind on something else and just called in sick for 3 or 4 days as my loved one died i was totally devestated. I really know what you're going thru and i give my sincere condoleances to you and your wife. Its good to let all your feelings out.

Im not the type of person that 'gets' a new cat, usually a new family member will automatically walk into our life, which makes it special, i hope a new pet will walk into your life, reuniting your family into that special bond once more.

15. CoachK_R

CoachK_R Member

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.
    For what its worth - I am taking our other dog to the vet monday to get her tested and then get her on a prevention regimen. It is really cheap insurance when you think about it. They can be treated once they have heartworms, but he was not a good candidate for the treatments because of his age and other health concerns.

16. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

So what if the dog was old? That doesn't make it hurt any less when it's time to say goodbye.

I just spent $500 on my kittah because she had a liver infection. Should I have put her down because she's twelve years old?

17. 2500

2500 Guest

I was just acknowledging he was old. I was replying to the "For fucks sake he was 14 years old." Read.

18. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

you never gave it treatment ever or just forgot for some reason????

19. Mogul

Mogul New Member

Sorry, sounds like a hard thing to have to do.