SRS Had to put my cat to sleep :(

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Capote, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Capote

Capote Guest

:( :wtc: :(

Its a bit worse than I thought, not that I'm broken down or anything its just that connection you have with a pet is hard when you lose them.

But we put her to sleep because she had arthritis in her back legs/hips and couldn't walk or anything. She was in more pain than I could imagine. She just slept all day and ate. She even used to sleep next to her bowl of food because she couldn't walk anywhere :(

she's gone now :(

just felt like I had to tell someone.

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

3. johan

johan Active Member

Take some comfort that you loved that cat, and that cat loved you.
    It's tough losing a loved one, but you did what was necessary.

4. bptillman

bptillman New Member

5. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

Big hugs, d00d.

it's tough. :grouphug:

They become more like family members than you think.

6. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

I couldnt imagine having to put down my cat. He is the loveliest thing on earth. I have only had im about a year and he was a stray before that.

You did the right thing by putting her to sleep at least because of her pain and suffering. There is value in that, at least you know she doesnt hurt anymore.

7. tie00

tie00 New Member

:wtc:

Just know that she doesn't feel pain anymore.
    :hug:

8. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

man i feel your pain when i put my dog down a couple years ago it was the hardest thing i had to do. =( but you did the right thing they are off in a better place with no pain..

9. bigballofyarn

bigballofyarn OT Supporter

She's probably better now that she's not in any physical pain. Try to be happy about all the happy times you've shared, instead of sad of her passing. I wish you internal peace and hope you will find happiness. I am sorry for your loss.

10. Zanathyne

Zanathyne Guest

That's very sad and it hits close to home since my dog is getting pretty old and his legs and hips seem to be all bent out of shape, the vet said he is arthritic but I walk him everyday and he loves it since he cries to be taken out and can run pretty fast for fat dog. What I fear is that soon the arthritis will get the better of him and he will slowly and painfully waste away and I will have to put him to sleep. If it comes to that I will do it, if it happened to me I would opt for euthanasia in a heartbeat anything to limit or stop suffering in all beings.

11. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

How old was it?

I couldn't imagine doing that to my kittah but I know one day it'll possibly happen :( :(

12. Capote

Capote Guest

Thats exactly what happened to Gizmo :hs: she kept having some spazms in her back legs and then it'd go away. We took her to the vet and he said that she has developed a mild case of arthritis in her hips. then all of a sudden she had trouble going up and down stairs and would cry for someone to take her off of a chair or somewhere she couldn't get out of. :(

It just built up so badly that she couldn't really walk anywhere, just about to the litter box and that was it andit was so painful to watch her suffer like that. She gained so much weight too, she was a runtly little thing all her life and she just doubled in size the past 6 months or so. She couldn't even scratch her head :( When i'd rub her behind her ears her back leg would go like she was scratching ...

she was a good kittah and only 10 years old. :(

13. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

14. wufei

wufei New Member

:hug: pets are like family

15. dura

dura Guest

:hug: I put my bulldog down two years ago and I still think of him every now and then. 9 years of life and I kind of grew up with him :).

16. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Sorry for your loss :hug:

I need to quit reading about pets dying while at work :wtc: :hs:

17. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

sorry for your loss :( it was VERY hard to have my cat put down.

18. Jake!

Jake! Guest

:hug: our cat is like our kid

19. Playboy

Playboy Part time arrogant bastard

20. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

my dog is 10+. She has hip displaca(sp) and a nerve disorder in her right back lack along with it. she falls a lot and have trouble getting up stairs, most of the time i have to get behind her and help her up or she will get stuck and fall backwards. On non carpeted floors she falls constantly, its so sad to see her like this compared to how she used to be when she was young. Even worse is knowing someday when i'm old, i will be completly different health wise then i am now in my 20's. She is my first dog and best friend, it will be a very sad day when its her time. I ponder it and it upsets me deeply

21. Capote

Capote Guest

I keep going home thinking she'll be by the back door waiting for me :( :wtc: :(

I still have her bowl near the side door too :( and all her toys too :wtc: shit!! I dind't think I'd cry!!!!

:wtc: