SRS Had my last cigerette yesterday at 5:15 pm.....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrewH, Mar 15, 2005.

1. DrewH

DrewH .

*update* 1 year anniversary - Had my last cigerette yesterday at 5:15 pm.....

**UPDATE 3/15/06** 1 Year Annivesary

Its been a crazy year - i got married, purchased a new home, and over came quitting smoking cold turkey. Definately one of the greatest accomplishments in my life.

Ive been thinking about quitting. Financial reasons, health reasons, everything. I cant seem to find 1 valid reason why i choose to smoke but i can find plenty of why i should stop.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    So, im sitting at my cubicle at work on my first 15 minute break of the day when i would traditionally be outside killing myself right now. Such an odd feeling.

How do people get through the days like this. Im 25 y/o , been smoking since i was 18 but never felt addicted to the substance. Ive lost my grandparents on the fathers side both to Emphazyma (sp?). I watched at there bed side as they struggled to take their last breaths......and here i am....doing it myself.

........thoughts? :hs:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I think the weirdest part is getting used to not smoking when you used to always smoke. Let yourself do something else whenever this happens... eat, surf OT, something

3. DrewH

DrewH .

Agreed. I traditionally smoke during my 15 minutes breaks, or on my lunch break, and always on the drive him.

Ill need to resort to something that takes my mind off it......who knows....maybe ill rub one out sitting in traffic lol :big grin:

4. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

i just quit, financial reasons being the biggest kicker. i started munching like a fiend, and im already over weight. right now if i have the urge to smoke, i just do 5 pushups. if the urge isnt over, ill do five more. it will be two weeks on wensday night. im pretty good to go. ive survived a long drive without one, multiply trips to the smokey bar, and hanging out with my friends who are smokers. just takes drive and will.

5. DrewH

DrewH .

That was going to be my next question.

I bowl in leagues on Thursday and Friday surrounded by smokers. If, in 3 days the nicotine is out of my system and im good to go, wont all the 2nd hand smoke completely squash what ive accomplished so far?

How do you handle being around it yet not grabbing a quick smoke.

6. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

If you don't feel like you can make it through bowling nights, you WILL BE OK if you skip a week. Your quit is worth it! I skipped my cousin's wedding for my quit. If you were detoxing from a "real drug," your bowling buddies wouldn't care if you missed a week. Give yourself the same opportunity, because nicotine is a real drug. Best of luck! It DOES get better.

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

No, you don't get a buzz off second-hand smoke. However, it does seem to smell inviting even if you've quit for a while. I would prepare for those nights with a lot of gum, try and have someone with you who are you accountable to (knows you're trying to quit and supports you in your decision). If you drink, avoid having ANY alcohol, it will increase your chances of a slip. As was stated earlier, skipping the first week wouldn't be a bad idea either.

8. DrewH

DrewH .

Unfortunately, skipping bowling is not an option. Im not the average 140 avg bowler who bowls for fun. Bowling is my second jub honestly.

Ive tried to cut it down at a bowling alley before, and i would smoke 1 cig a game.....i thought that was good. I remember trying to ween myself off of cigerettes but it only made me want another.

I should have it easy honestly. When i do smoke, i only smoke about half of it, and kill the rest. When i get home ill take a picture of th eash tray in my garage with probobely....200? half smoken cigerettes? I smoke , i would say easily 2 -3 packs A WEEK. And majority fo those coming from bowling on Thursday and Friday nights.

I dont drink alcohol while i bowl, so that wont tempt me. However, bowling is very stressful at this point int he season and my nerves could crave a quick smoke......

Ill keep everyone updated as things go on.

On a side note, on my lunch break today i went to the gas station for a fill up and didnt buy a pack of smokes....not even an emergancy pack for when i break down lol.

So, i feel like ive already accomplished something.....and were at roughly 20 hours right now.

9. Bobwax

Bobwax Guest

Can't bowl if you are dead !!! skip bowling for a week , you will be stronger in another week..... slam as much water as you can at least a gallon a day ...you can f@@#$%cking do it !!!!

10. DrewH

DrewH .

*update*

Well at 7:30pm last night i got called by a friend asking me to sub in for someone on the team who wouldnt make it to bowling. Guess my first test at the bowling alley came unexpected.

Maybe it was the pace. Only 3 man teams, 3 games, in and out. Shot 705, and not a single cigerette. Not even a craving. I was completely surprised and happy with myself.

So, day 1 is officially in the books......

11. girle

girle Blindfolded

Discipline and determination. Good luck!

(Im on day 11 and im never goin back)

12. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Hey good luck! I've got about 5-6 packs left, then I'm going to quit too. I smoke about a pack a day, mainly because I can smoke whenever, so it'll be rough for me. I'm planning on stopping smoking in conjunction with getting a new gym membership, so hopefully it'll work out. Good luck with your efforts.

13. DrewH

DrewH .

*update*

Day 2 went by even smoother. Not a single urge. I think my key to passing this is to stay busy. Traditionally i smoked during break times, sitting in traffic, or in between frames while bowling.

I stopped going outside for my breaks, and actually just walk around the building and chat with co workers. I started calling my brother/friends on my drive home to keep my head out of thinking i need a cig, and bowling im not 100% sure i accomplished yet because on Tuesday it was speed bowling....no real time to think about wanting a smoke....

Tonight will be the biggest challenge. 5 man teams, and everyone on the team smokes....except me now. I may just try to sit away from them or stay down on the lanes for the most part, but i think i have a definate chance of over coming this considering its almost 2 1/2 days of no smoking now.

Wish me luck, ill update tomorrow morning....

14. DrewH

DrewH .

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, its very appreciated!

15. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

sounds great bro. i lost my grandfather and grandmother to lung cancer.

keep it up.

16. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

staying out of the bowling alley would probably be the best thing to do... but try and bring something to chew on or something to keep yourself busy, theres alot of smokey temptation in those smoking alleys.... try to think of how proud of yourself you will be if you go through the night bowling w/o smoking... keep it up!

17. tfxpzeke01

tfxpzeke01 Guest

I quit smoking 8-05-03 and it was the best thing I've ever done. I was an addict!! I had to have my cigarettes and I was smoking upwards of 2 packs a day at age 27. When I was in late teens I was very active in the gym and was in good shape, but that soon ended when I went to college and started partying. With the partying came the smoking. I was feeling like crap one day because I had gained a fair amount of weight over the years out of college and was smoking way too much, so I wanted to get back in the gym. I started reading some articles on bodybuilding.com and came across one about smoking and bodybuilding. The reality was that I'd never reach my goal with my smoking, so I made the decision to quit. The search for help began. I started searching the internet for 'quit smoking' websites and one stood out at me.

Whyquit.com stood out at me for some reason mainly because of this article. I always had the mentality that I'd quit smoking when I got older, but anyone can get cancer at ANY age. That article scared me! To help me with my cravings, I tried some herbal quit smoking stuff to which didn't really work IMHO. You have to want to quit, or be scared into it and I was both. I also took comfort from reading this article also. I wish you the best of luck at quitting. It isn't that tough for some people and then there are others that have a real rough time quitting. I have to admit that I had a tough time quitting because I was truley an addict. I went through the physical withdrawls as well as the mental withdrawls which is mainly dealing with 'triggers', or things that make you want to smoke like during a break, after eating, while drinking beer, etc.. Oddly enough, I still think about smoking even today and have a small craving ever so often, but I know that I can NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF to which you'll learn when you check out whyquit.com. Check out the forums on that site for tons of support. Again, good luck and I wish you the best. :)

18. DrewH

DrewH .

Thanks for the link tfx, great site with alot of information. Im actually considering opening one of my own :)

Again, thanks for the moral support guys.

Day 4 has come to a close. Back to back nights at the bowling alley, and i never touched a cigerette. Had the urge, but i witheld.......

19. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Congrats on the success. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks for me. Gets easier, but its never easy, then again, nothin is. Feelin better physically, my mental thoughts have more clarity but damn am I a bitch lately :) Check out QuitNet.org, they have some motivational readin.To make a long story short, in the end, its all worth it, nothin is more important then your health. Keep up the great work!

20. DrewH

DrewH .

Well tonight at 5:30pm will officially be 1 week. Im just happy ive come this far, and know i wont go back. Thanks for listing everyone.

21. oogaboogaboo

oogaboogaboo Guest

I try to stop smoking and nothing helps, nothing is like that nice drag of a cigarette. The way is just to not do it, it will torture you but when you get the habit out of your system you will not want one anymore. I quit smoking but randomly I still get huge cravings, but when I just have like 2 puffs I am done, I cannot smoke an entire cigaette anymore, thats kinda weird to me.

22. Shaolin Bushido

Shaolin Bushido Sense Offender

Dude,I struggled with smoking for too many years to name but after associating all the negatives(stench, money wasted, health threat to myself and others, realization that I've been successfully addicted via advertisements and additives to tobacco for some fat cats to capitalize on) I finally just stopped when my brother died from a heart attack. His major contributing factor other than genetics was smoking.

His only vice.

That was seven years ago and I haven't experienced one second of longing for a cigarette since. When it makes sense to you, when it all adds up, you'll do the same and let that bullshit go if you want to.

23. niteQwill

niteQwill New Member

eating fruits will deplete your craving for cigarettes...good thing your quitting.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2005
  24. DrewH

DrewH .

Well its been exactly 2 weeks to the day now. Cravings are far and few between and only last for a minute or so before im done thinking about it.

Ive overcome smoking within the firs 3 week time frame, and i have since continued to bowl on Thursday and Fridays on teams of smokers, succesfully gotten over the craves on weekends when im enjoying an afternoon of PS2 or Party Poker, and as of this last Saturday night, i overcame smoking when drunk AND playing poker.....two major contributers to the urge. (now i wont lie and say i didnt need some help restraining from wanting to light one up , but again...its was only once and then it was out of my mind.)

So, thansk for all the support, kind words, and stories........

It was much appreciated and needed.

25. jimitakerz

jimitakerz Guest

Keep up the good work bro...