GUN Had my first run in with the police since getting my CWP tonight

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mace Windu, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Mace Windu

Mace Windu OT's Resident Pile of Awesome

I was coming home from my gf's and I was just about home and I saw blue lights ahead. :noes: I was coming on a checkpoint. I stopped and the police asked me how I was and I asked him how he was. He asked for my license and I informed him that I had a current CWP and was currently armed. He smiled real big and said alright. Then he acted like I never told him anything and made sure my tag was current and my license was too. He also reminded me I needed to renew my license this year. :o

Overall, I was thrilled to be able to tell a cop this and had a very good experience during it.

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Most cops view CPL/CWP in a very positive light, we're more likely to follow the law than anyone else since we carry a larger liability than most.

3. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

unconstitutional

last time i got stopped a a dui point, they wanted me to hit brakes/both blinkers/wipers, etc

fags

4. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

same way around here where i live

5. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

but it's ok because it only infringes on your rights a little bit :hsugh:

6. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

Does your state require you to tell LEO you're carrying when you come in contact with them?

Kansas states you don't have to say anything unless they ask or are going to search you.

7. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

You don't have to do shit for the police at a checkpoint, you know that right?

8. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

no i didnt, please explain.

9. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

probable cause - driving isn't it

10. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Depends upon state law. Some states have laws that require you to notify an officer that you are carrying.

However, there are several significant court cases over the years that have decided that merely possessing a firearm is not probable cause that a person is dangerous or that a crime is or has been committed. Basically, just having a firearm in the vehicle does not necessarily warrant a Terry stop, or any other warrantless search, or any seizure of the firearm.

11. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Be sure of your state's verbiage before taking OT-lolyer advice as fact. In Ohio, you must inform a LEO that you have a permit and that you are armed (only if you are actually carrying, of course), IF the LEO is in your presence on official business. If you're just walking through the mall and a cop says hi, you don't have to notify. But if you get pulled over, or are otherwise engaged with a LEO who is doing his job, you have to notify. The LEO then has the right to secure your firearm for the duration of the stop, but also has to return the firearm in the condition it was when taken (assuming you aren't being arrested for something else, obviously).

From what I've read on the Ohio CCW forums, most Ohio police are pro-CCW except state troopers for some reason. Columbus cops are some of the most pro-CCW in the state, it seems. :bigthumb:

Of course, everything in my post applied to Ohio only, YMMV.

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I wouldn't have said shit. It's non of his business unless you did something wrong

13. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

AND, not all cops would have handled it that way. you're lucky you didn't get the complete opposite treatment of pulling you out of your car, cuffing you for his "safety" and THEN checking your background and ID

14. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

In Texas you must inform the LEO that you are a CHL holder IF you are actually carrying. I always tell them even when I'm not carrying since it comes up on their computer when they run the DL. No sense in creating a tense situation for them to come back to the car and have to ask. As far as I'm concerned, we're on the same side.

Texas is working on passing a bill that would remove the notification clause from the CHL laws. The reason being is that it has become a double-standard. Texas allows anyone that is legally allowed to own a firearm to have it loaded and concealed in their vehicle. When doing so you are not required to inform LEOs that you have that weapon. Doesn't exactly make sense that a CHL holder would have to inform if Joe Blow doesn't.

15. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

In TX you must show the cop your DL and CHL whether you are carrying or not

16. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

IIRC in Michigan you must inform them of your CPL and that you are carrying, if you are actually carrying at that time. If you are not actually carrying, you don't have to say anything.

I let them know either way, basically hoping that extending them the courtesy will help me get out of a potential ticket :big grin:

17. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

This is the exception rather than the rule IMO. I've had a bunch of contacts with Police officers since I first got my OR CHL. All of them have been real positive. Be polite and courteous and you will usually be treated the same way.

18. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Not true. Texas Govt Code 411.205(a)
    This was clearly explained in my CHL class (and renewal class). If you're not carrying you do not need to show your license. I do as a courtesy to the officer and to avoid a bad situation when he finds out from the computer anyway.

19. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I was with my friend one time when he got pulled over by a tx state trooper and when he took the weapon out of the glovebox he had his burger finger all on the trigger and was flaging me and the diver

20. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

In Ohio, it shows up on their computer when they run your tag.

21. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I would follow this logic, do everything you can to notify the officer and avoid a tense situation even if it's not required by law. I would certainly appreciate anyone that let me know they were armed before I turned my back on them and walked back to my car.

22. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

In Connecticut you don't have to notify. However the trooper had me on a misdemeanor reckless driving charge and I decided it would be better if there were no surprises.

23. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

lol. You keep thinking that, bud.

24. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Ive learned it's always best to not say shit unless the law requires me to. When I get pulled over it's the DL and CHL, nothing more nothing less.

Ive learned the less I have to say to cops, the easier life is on both of us.

25. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member