Had my first powermeet in 2 years, today.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Atenza6i, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

Whats up guys.

My hands are still dusty/powdery and I'm sooo tired. Before I took a shower, I decided to post this info up. :hsd:

After taking a break from lifting for two years, and getting back in the gym about a month and a half ago, I went to my first powermeet since my sophmore year. (highschool) I found out about it last wednesday (4 days ago) so i wasn't really preparing for it either. I didnt really go to compete, but i just wanted to see how i did compared to back then. Sure i could max and etc on my own, but i wouldn't get the adrenaline rush and drive that i would, when i'm with a bunch of my friends at a competition. Anyways.

Stats:
    Height: 5'7.5''
    Weight: 225

Sophmore Year:

Bench: 235
    Squat: 365
    Deadlift: 365

Predictions for today, after not maxing in 2 years:

Bench: 265
    Squat: 365
    Deadlift: 315

Outcome:

Bench: 265
    Squat: 435
    Deadlift: 365

I'm overall satisfied. I went in this order: Squat, Bench, Deadlift.

Squat turned out pretty good. I feel stupid saying this, but I was in a group of 250lbs and up, and me and a handful of guys were the only 225 pounders. I was either excited and nervous, or intimidated. Everyone was looking at me like I had no idea what i was doing b/c i was short, and asian. Heck, the starting height was so high, i had to ask the guys to help me get it off the rack each time, and rack it up after. Well, I hit 365 first, no problem...it was actually really easy. I went up to 405, that was okay, then i hit 435...seemed like it took 95% of me though, I still had some extra in me. That made me feel good about myself.

Bench:
    I usually do 225x6-8 as my first set. I warmed up a bit, and started at 255 for my first lift. Surprisingly, it was harder than it usually was. Second, I did 265. I failed. I was surprised...maybe its because i only gave it a 3 minute rest. After another 5 minutes, I went at 265 again, and i got it, barely. needless to say, i think squat took a lot out of me. This kinda left me dissapointed.

Deadlift:
    I hate this lift. I always end up scraping my knees even when i do it with 225 at the gym, as much as i try to work on form. This lift always confused me. No matter what weight i did, it seemed so hard in the beginning, and its always a slow battle to get up. After Squat and Bench, I was tired. I was crashing from the caffeine/taurine from the redbull, and the sugar from the snickers bar i ate. My coach always told me deadlift was the easiest lift, but It was still usually on par with my squat.

I racked up 365, failed miserably. The guys around me were giving looks like I was just a chubby weak asian. The judge didnt even look at me, handed me my paper and said "i hope you know you can't go back down". "yes sir." I was pretty embarassed. Guys that squatted less than me were doing 400+ no problem. A few minutes later, I failed again. More embarassed. They just racked up more weight, and they were going up....400, 435, 450...I had to wait until everyone was done. I was the last to go. I wasn't about to get a good squat, an okay bench, and then fail myself. I got pissed, got the adrenaline running, and put it under control. At first i thought i failed, but it started to go up slowly, and I pushed my butt forward like i was thrusting my penis into a rubber wall. Yep. I got it. That was hard. -_- and i was embarassed.

So overall, I thought I did okay. My bench was mediocre and it wasnt surprising, although I thought i could do more. Squat, i was happy with. Deadlift, i still hate it.

Pictures of me: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1628476

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cliffs Notes:

-17 years old
    -225lbs
    -5'7''
    -found out about the powermeet 4 days ago, so i decided to go, just to see how i would do.

Bench: 265 - not satisfied
    Squat: 435 - happy about it
    Deadlift: 365 - embarassed

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? I wish i had picture of my lifts on the paper, so i thought about taking my camera there. However, i'd look pretty gay taking pictures of a piece of paper at a powermeet. I wouldn't lie about my scores though. I have nothing to prove to an internet group, haha.

Whew, longer thread than i expected.

*btw, i got an avatar last night. go me. *

2. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

sounds like you did a good job to me

howd you place?

3. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

oh, i'm not sure. it started at 2, i finished at 3:30, awards were at 4:30. i wasn't about to wait another hour just to see how i did compared to the others. I knew what i got, so i was cool with it.

i'll just go to the weight room tomorrow and check out the placing. Placement in the competition i wasn't really worried about. i'm not a powerlifter, heh.

I do expect to go to more powermeets too, just to see how my lifts are doing. I never get that kinda nervous/anxious/excited adrenaline rush in the gym, not matter how i psych myself up. these meets are every other month, at local highschools.

4. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

how come you dont train more seriously? sounds like you have a lot of potential still..

5. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

yeah, that word, potential, came up alot in that other thread i posted in this one. I dont know, it just doesn't seem like a huge priority to me. I love lifting, i love improving myself, and i love to see the changes over time, but for some reason, i'm not as driven as other people to be a body builder or a powerlifter.

not to make this thread religious or anything, but my main goal in life right now is to become a pastor, and to prepare myself for ministry. lifting is a great hobby, but i don't want it to overtake my life. theres a verse in the bible that says you can't serve two masters. there have been times where i felt like my passion for lifting and getting in shape have been a greater priority than my relationship with God.

call it bogus, but thats just my personal situation. =/

before each of my lifts today, i would repeat to myself "soli deo gloria". in latin, it means to God alone be the glory. I gained much of my drive and motivation from this. Each lift, i compared it to how hard i'd run this race for Christ. i gave it my all.

still, i plan on lifting, working out, and staying in shape for the rest of my life.

6. cunninglinguist

cunninglinguist RAEPERQUICKING

squatting 435 at 17 is pretty impressive

7. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

i guess. but i also know 225lbs at 5'7'' is pretty heavy, so that keeps me humble and focused to keep lifting.

8. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

btw, if i can take pics of the scoresheet at school, i'll make sure to post them up.

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I'm not religous by any means but to each his own.
    I nonetheless respect your drive and motivation. Congratulations.

10. jonno

jonno New Member

awesome man... good job

11. Undefined

Undefined New Member

thats great man, you should be proud of yourself. i have a ton of respect for your perspective on life and lifting too. you're really mature for being 17.

12. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:werd:

13. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

Nice work.

14. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

I have alot of respect for you :cool:

15. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

heh thanks.

i have a lot of respect for many of the guys here who are so committed to what they do, and are willing to help out the newer guys and encourage them, like me. thanks for doing everyone us that kinda favor.

schools closed today b/c of the "winter storm warning" (i live in northern virginia) but there is not even .1'' of snow on the ground. i'll try to take pics later this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.