Had bad cramp, caused a muscle tear?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Swerve, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

So just over two weeks ago I went out on the town and got pretty drunk etc. I fell asleep in what you might call an embryo position and around 3 hours later I woke up with madddd cramp in my right hamstring.

Being somewhat drunk, recollection of this is somewhat hazy, but this cramp was the most severe I've ever felt, when I felt my hamstring, I could feel the muscle was crazy tight, like it was going to snap!

I immediately stretched out my leg so it was straight again, job done I thought.

Now for the last 2 weeks it's been sore and seemed to be getting better very very slowly. Stupidly I did a short 10 minute run yesterday and now it's back like it was, sore all the time.

Did straightening out my leg during the cramp cause a muscle tear do you think?

I need some advice on recovery. Anyone ever suffered this?

Thanks!

2. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Whenever you get a severe cramp you are NOT supposed to stretch it out. You have to wait for the cramp to subside and then relax that limb. You should have left your leg bent and then straightened it out slowly. I doubt you tore the muscle but you might have severely strained it. Go to a doctor.

I used to get these really bad when I swam. I got one yesterday after my leg day as well.

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Thanks y1997, I thought you were supposed to stretch it out, hence my actions.

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

fyi: it's called the fetal position

5. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

embryo position :rofl:

I stretch out calf cramps, works in the short term. A hamstring cramp I'd be a bit more worried about. If you were still drunk when you woke up, how do you know for sure it was just a cramp? Can you remember what you did the night before that may have caused it? Doesn't sound like a tear, you wouldn't have been able to run.

6. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

If you get a cramp bad enough to cause a tear :eek3:

7. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

I usually fall asleep in the zygote position myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.