SRS had an odd day today...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Demon Of Dreams, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

well, nothing really stressful or anything, just in general a shitty mood at work because someone didn't show up...

but I was tempted to drink today, just out of the blue.
    was in that mood after about two hours at work and was getting frustrated at little shit that shouldn't bother me (i'm not a manager, other peoples problems shouldn't become my problems, but they do and i end up having to do something about it :sad2: )

anyway, problem came up with a drink order and they had to void a glass of beer. became my problem because i had to do the void. I gave the slip to the manager to do it, she asked me to do it. I did it. I gave her the full glass of fat tire, she handed it back and told me to go empty it.

I told her that with how i was feeling that'd be a bad idea, I value my sobriety too much to throw it away because I'm in a crappy mood.
    Thankfully she understood and took it back and did it herself, because the entire time I was thinking, "Oh, just one drink isn't going to hurt, just a sip, a taste, and you'll be fine" ...

sometimes I hate being basically the only sober person where I work. everyone else talks about getting high before or after work, or going to drink, or whatever, and I just keep to myself for the most part and don't join in, rarely listen, and try not to give a fuck, because they don't talk to me about it directly (they do from time to time, because they all suffer short term memory loss) ...

others not sober around me doesn't bother me as long as I don't have to hear about it. a few of them respect that i don't drink or drug and are fairly careful with their words. Others just come up and start spewing shit I don't give a fuck about.

I was just in a crap mood today, and I'm glad my manager is a bit brighter than she comes off some of the time :o

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

:sad2: Maybe you consider working elsewhere ...

Attending some meetings would probably improve your spiritual condition, and you might make some new friends :bigthumb:

3. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

4. Demon Of Dreams

won't consider working elsewhere because i like where i am... it's been a few days out of half a year so far, so i'm confident it'll get better... just a lot of shit leading up to it :hs:

5. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

I agree with Eligh

You don't work every day, it couldn't hurt to go sit in a meeting occasionally - glad you posted though, I've had the same thoughts since I've been working swing shift the past month - one more week to go

I figured at 33 months I wouldn't have too many problems except getting my body to wake up and go to sleep at different hours, the first few weeks all I wanted to do was have a drink on the way home - good thing I talked about it and remembered that for me one is too many and a thousand never enough, and that it takes me right down to the last bottom I had, which is doing drugs and staying up all hours and almost getting fired and losing my home, kids, respect etc.

6. Taegun

Taegun Guest

Seriously, why do you work around your area of weakness? Find a job where you aren't exposed to alchohol all the time, or at least where you can better avoid it.

It might feel good to be able to resist sometimes but surely it'd be better to remove the option?

7. Demon Of Dreams

because quite honestly, any work I do will involve it in some way...

doesn't matter what i do, where i do it, its going to be around.

I say this because pretty much any job i've had, especially the last 3, involved sales or serving of alcohol.

on any given day i can pretty much handle it all.

this last week was just one time out of a bit over 6 months.

most of it was due to having to train a complete fucking idiot the days I was working, and having to retrain him for the days someone else worked with him and fucked it all up. (lucky for me, the kid isn't going to be there much more.)

I'm reaching 3 years clean soon, I'm not going to throw it away, a few people here know that. But the thoughts were there before i was even handed the drink to get rid of it, that just sort of pushed it along afterwards.

it's still nice knowing I'm probably one of three people sober out of every employee where I work though :rofl:

8. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

I'm glad you're doing better. Its not a nice feeling when its fingernails on the chalkboard feeling at work. Have you checked out those meetings close to your home & work? Sooner would be better than later. :rofl:

9. Taegun

Taegun Guest

That's great, nearly three years and all but... are you only trained to serve alcohol or something? Because there are millions of occupations out there, even something as simple as shop assistant, that don't involve being near alcohol.

Oh well, good on you for keeping it up.

10. Demon Of Dreams

while I do have training in serving alcohol, that's not what my job description entails at all... just means that i can be involved in selling or serving.

doesn't mean I don't do it, just means I don't do it often enough.

trust me, most shop assistants are around alcohol too (if you're talking auto shop anyway :rofl: )

assistant jobs = faster way to cause drinking IMO ...

11. Taegun

Taegun Guest

Sure, I work in a Woolworths part time and god knows, fighting off the demon drink is just such hard work :rolleyes:

Lol, there have to be some jobs where you won't be in contact with alcohol. The world doesn't revolve around the stuff.

12. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Yea unfortunately he's right, demon of dreams...

You can just throw up the REAL reasons of why you work where you work, but the fact is that not all jobs involve hanging around booze

13. Demon Of Dreams

when you said shop assistant, my thoughts first went to automotive/autobody/etc ...

plus, I've already done retail, and it's not my cup of tea.

I'm not some kid just looking for a job where I'll settle for minimum wage. I make enough over it at the moment and I'm setting career goals, so I'd rather not just toss a job I enjoy when I've got a plethora of opportunities waiting for me in this specific area of work.

Plus, I'm also not qualified for a whole lot more, and the line of work I'm in is something I've wanted a career in for quite some time.

14. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

:rofl:

You still got a basic text to look at once in a while? try reading a story a night and the chapter on the first step for a few days, it will ease you and give you another viewpoint on life - I told one of my sponsees today, to take 5 just sit in a spot and breathe, no distractions going on, aka mediate

love ya