COMIC .hack

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Scud, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Scud

Scud I'm an aquired taste.

A anime about MMORPG's... doesn't get much better... plus the story goes from Animated TV Series, to OVA, to Manga, to PlayStation 2 game!!! I can't wait.

So far the manga is out along with .Hack//Sign (TV series), .Hack//Liminality (OVA) and the game is due out this year.

Basic story, near future this game The World is massive online role play game, but some players are falling unconcious in the real world while playing. Hmm... interesting, the tv series dragged a bit but the OVA gets you right back into it... exelent use of music in the series too.

So if you ever played a MMORPG (UO, EQ, DAOC, AC, AO, etc..) check this one out.

2. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

Is that what it's about? I've heard the name, and people say it's good, but I never caught a whiff of what the plot was based on. Sounds interesting. :)

3. Scud

Yeah, the game is causeing ppl to drop unconcius and into comas, but only a few people know that the game is the cause. The TV series is about one character caught inside the game and can't log out. So the others try to get him to open up so they can perhaps help him.

OVA series happens outside the game in the real world as certain people investigate whats happening outside and in the game at the same time.

Manga is again inside the game I think (havn't seen it) and the PlayStation 2 game is inside the game as well I think.

4. Jaron95

Crazy! :eek:

5. e_man182

e_man182 PedoBear's Apprentice

I've been itching to look into .hack//sign, but I don't know the order of which to watch/read/play things in. :dunno:

Is each part a piece to one big whole? Or is it separate stories/versions? If they are just part of a whole, could you tell me the order to do them in so I can get my ass in gear and get to it. :bigthumb:

6. Scud

you can watch them in any order as far as I know... but the chronological order is manga, tv, ova, then game I think... not 100% on that.

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

So is it liscensed for north american release?

8. Scud

The game is, afaik.

The .HACK//SIGN DVD 7 in Japan is due out the 25th of this month with 9 volumes total (March for Vol. 9), so I'm sure we have a bit of a wait yet.

I've yet to see all the Liminality OAVs but man does it have me on the edge waiting for it. Vol 3 hit the anime hubs late Dec and the 4th isn't due till March on DVD.

9. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I'm about to start .hack after berserk. I waited so the OAV will hopefully be completed and released :o

10. Scud

OAV 4 is a ways away still :\ when dvd is released the fan subbers will be all over it for us ^_^ yea!

11. Jaron95

Damn firewall, and damn low kazaa participation level. :mad: It's taking forever to download ep. 3! :wtc:

12. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

13. Scud

Hit up the hubs on DC, I got lucky when I was getting it and pulled all 26 (If I remember) in one night :)

14. Scud

I am so preordering now...:eek:

15. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

16. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I thought the series sucked ass! I kept watching only because of some morbid fascincation--to get closure. I was very disappointed to say the least.

They could've done so much with the story. So much potential... The weakest points to the anime are the plot direction and the ending.

Plot direction--what plot direction? It's like things just happen with no purpose. Only occasionally does the story advance. It's slow as fuck. They spent more time being cryptic and building back story than advancing the story at hand.

And the ending... OMG, worst ending EVAR!!! It resolves nothing! It's like they ended the series 2/3 of the way through the story! I kid you not! The show basically ends like this: "Hmm... were' reaching ep 25. We better end this". Bam! It ends! It's so abrupt! Worse than the NGE ep25 to ep26 transition. I repeat: Nothing is resolved in the last episode! The topics that are introduced in the earlier episodes are totally ignored. No explaination is provided. All the people I know agree that the ending sucked total ass and that it probably contributes to 80% of .Hack's suckiness.

Btw, the music rocks! I have the OST. :cool: :bigthumb: It's apparently the same person who did NOIR, which I thought was a much better anime.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2003
  17. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Oh yeah, I forgot his similarities to Shinji. :squint: There were so many times I wanted to punch Tsukasa in the face!! :mad: Damn weak anti-heroes! It seems Japanese anime/manga are full of them.

18. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

kiddy grade > noir :o

19. Scud

Agreed, I didn't like it all that much, but it was entertaining specifically for me. The OAVs are much much more interesting. I'm a big fantasy RPGer so I just connected with it in some odd way and ignored the wandering plot as nothing was respolved... but then again, nothing was resolved for a reason...

20. Cicada

Cicada Guest

this is an awesome series.

21. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

i couldnt get past ep 3. it didnt seem worth watching any further :dunno:

22. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Whoa, that story line sounds a whole lot like the "Otherland" novels by Tad Williams. I love those books, I may have to see if I can get ahold of a few episodes and check this out.

BTW I think the second series of .hack is starting soon in Japan so there is likely alot more to the story.

23. Jaron95

This kind of thing fascinates me. :o The whole ".hack" story is obviously far deeper than just the ".hack//SIGN" series.

http://www.dothack.com/game/img/story/timeline/timeline.gif

EDIT: What the hell does it say under "TIME LINE >>>" in the bottom left-hand corner? :squint: It looks like:

Time Line is historically showing the history of .hack and "The World"
    Its' fuckin boaring so make this fuckin horizontally long page.
    What the fuck is this?!

:wtf:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003