hack squat crew: halp!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by infinite loop, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

i deadlift in the mid 400s and squat in the low 400s. i started doing hack squats recently to switch things up.. starting with 135lbs and putting 25lb plates under my heels.

two questions: wtf do my forearms and back feel so sore afterwards even though i'm used to moving significantly more weight? second; why does the bar keep hitting my ankles? am i angled weird or am i not lifting fast enough with my legs?

tia :hs:

2. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

seems like it's hitting your ankles because you're putting the 25lb under your heel. i usually stand (my whole feet) on 2 25lb plates.

you're pulling with different muscle groups in the forearm when hack squating compared to deadlifting i think. how's your grip on the hack squats? i used to use a palms up grip, but i now find it easier to do palms down, and i think it's improving my grip strength this way too.

3. infinite loop

i use a standard overhand grip, same as i would on a sldl.

i've never heard of full standing on the plates.. i figured putting the plates under the heel is to prevent from rolling backwards?

4. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

get rid of the plates, push off your heels and keep your body as vertical as possible, go down the same way too

5. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

i step on plates only because i don't seem to go low enough without it since the plates will hit the ground, so without, it seems to be a 2/3 squat. i'm almost able to have my thighs parallel to the ground while standing on plates, but it's also less stable. i can see myself falling back one day haha, that would suck.

6. infinite loop

moved the plates and it seemed to help a lot. reversing the grip is interesting too.. i'm doing varying grips now to get a feel for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.