MMA Gym quality

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by BrianFantana, Apr 11, 2008.

1. BrianFantana

BrianFantana Active Member

I'm relatively new to boxing, and I'm not quite sure how to tell how good a gym / trainer is and how well it would prepare me for a fight. I've been going to a gym for the last couple months and I can feel a difference in myself, but really how is there a way to tell how good a gym is?

2. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Have you went to check out another boxing club somewhere? You can tell, if you're noticing improvements thats a good sign. Do you feel you are being pushed, or do you feel you could push yourself harder? Check out a couple of places, but don't settle for anything less than what you got.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

best way is to go back to the main forum and ask them

4. Redneck Shinobi

:mamoru:

5. BrianFantana

The thing is, there aren't many boxing gyms within half an hour or so of here. There's one closer, but I've heard bad stories of kids being throw into the ring to spar within a few weeks of starting and just getting murdered. :ugh2:

Really since it's classes they push people on an individual basis, but since I've shown interest I think they're trying to push me harder.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

if you don't want to spar, maybe you should check out tiger crane style

7. Redneck Shinobi

Ok tell me a typical routine you got when you go? Being thrown into the ring after a few weeks isn't actually that bad if there is a purpose to it. It's usually gonna be light sparring and working on technique. It could be as bad as they say, I just doubt it. You have enough training under your belt to at least properly defend yourself I'd assume, so even if you got put in there would you be uncomfortable?

8. BrianFantana

Ok troll, I'm sure sparring when someone doesn't know the basics of any fight style is the most effective method. Get the fuck out.

9. Redneck Shinobi

I hear Tai Chi is pretty good.

10. Redneck Shinobi

Was it a full out spar though? I mean it is hearsay, you did play 'telephone' as a kid, no?

Was the spar like this? [​IMG]

11. BrianFantana

Jump rope for 2 rounds for warmup, shadowbox 2 rounds, movement drills or defense drills, heavy bag work on all punches, and conditioning. Add in pushups, situps, squats etc thrown in between rounds. Once you get the basics they let you do light sparring and such. Usually people are sparring in 1.5 or 2 months if they want.

12. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

If you think you are learning its a good gym if you feel comfortable training there its a good gym. Have a look at the more experienced guys there how have they gone in competition?

13. Titus

Titus New Member

why don't you just watch instructional videos and learn from them?

14. BrianFantana

yeah I've been there, it's a pretty shitty environment in a shitty community. My friend who's been boxing for 4.5 years now says it's pretty bad as well.

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Oh yeah you should be sparring sooner then 6 weeks sparring and using the skills learnt helps you get your head around the drills you have been doing.

16. Redneck Shinobi

That sounds like any other gym, so whats your issue with it? If you are satisfied with that and where you are at now, then I don't see the problem.

17. Redneck Shinobi

I agree, honestly I learn more in sparring in 1 round then I do with any amount of my other drills.

18. BrianFantana

Yeah I know, I was just wondering if there was any sure fire way of telling how good a gym was, because looking at some people that say they have "trained" for a year or two and still being awful scares me. I know my friend looks very good, and that they've trained up a pro before but I was just giving it a check. I guess it's a solid gym then.

19. Redneck Shinobi

There are a lot of factors for that though. Some people peak, or just aren't putting what they could into it. They could actually be not learning, or pushing not themselves to reach new goals. You'll just know, and one way to tell is just to try a different one.

20. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

If they have put out a few solid fighters then they are doing something right. Boxing is very much an individual sport and you can only get out of it as much as you put in. Odds are the coach doesn't pay that much attention to the guys who come in once a week and half ass most of their excersizes, even if they have been coming in for years.

But really, a good gym is one that you like going to and one where you see yourself improving.

21. Kuet

Kuet New Member

hell yea- i can do drills and nail them all day....once i get into the ring, i forget everything and do the standing fetal position :mamoru: