Gym Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jeff Merr, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I was talking with my gf and she had the idea to compile a list of gym pet peeves. I got a little carried away with it, anyways its done for now so here it is, if you guys have more feel free to post them.

I've compiled this list after years of observation and experience.

1. People who don't clean up their weights after they're done using a machine
    ~ Some 40 year old lady doesn't need the responsibility of trying to unrack the 10 plates you left on the leg press machine. Stop being a lazy fuck, show some respect, and clean your weights.

2. People who say they're going to compete
    ~ Put up or shut up. Don't say you're planning on competing some day just to fit in or feel important, it's a lot harder than it looks. The only people who understand are those who have made it on stage.

3. People who intentionally grunt or make noise while lifting
    ~ There is no need to grunt and yell when you're squatting 225 lbs. or doing bicep curls. When you can squat, deadlift, or bench 500 lbs. you can make all the noise you want. Until then no one needs to know that you're about to do another rep.

4. People who talk on their cell phone while working out
    ~ The rest of us are here to train, we don't need to hear what you did last night at the bar with your buddies. Go in the aerobics room, go sit on a bosu ball and finish your conversation so the rest of us don't have to hear you talk.

5. People who blame their gains, or lack of, on genetics
    ~ You get out what you put in. Yes some people have it easier than others, sitting and whining about it isnt going to change anything. I've seen ridiculous transformations and they all had one thing in common; effort. The only place where results come before work is in the dictionary.

6. Personal trainer's who are skinny, fat, weak, or a combination of the above
    ~ If you think you have enough experience to train someone else you should look the part. Having a certification means jack shit. It's a piece of paper that says "Congratulations! You were able to read a book and look up answers to a test." Practice what you preach!

7. "MMA Fighters" at the gym
    ~ Stop fighting yourself in the mirror. I'm sorry but your chances at becoming the next UFC sensation are about the same as me winning the lottery. Take your Tapout shirt and go triangle choke a foam roller in the aerobics room, that way you're not in the way of the rest of us who are trying to work out.

8. CrossFit
    ~ As TC Luoma said, "Crossfit is this generation's Jazzercize, only they couldn't call it that because it might bruise the already-fragile egos of its practitioners. Too bad legwarmers are out of style. Besides, giving each daily workout a girl's name has already got them — the ones with at least half their testicular compliment intact — feeling a little sheepish.

What is this shit anyhow, a workout for those suffering from ADD? There's no rhyme or reason to any of it, nor is there any progression. Why don't you guys just get some push mowers and mow everybody's lawn? At least you'll be doing something useful."

2. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

Basically anyone who isn't a focused, conscientious, reasonably deodorized, hardworking powerlifter who cleans up after themselves.

3. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

faggots that don't re-rack weights...had some kid walk in and try to do 100db chest press and failed after the first rep, dropped them on the ground and left...:ugh2:

i agree with everything on your list but the grunting one. Doesn't make sense to say "oh, you're only benching 120lb, you shouldn't be grunting" everyone has their own limits and if a small grunt allows someone to get in an extra rep, why not? There are some faggots that do it excessively to get attention, but if they're just working out hard and pass their limits, it's almost impossible to be silent. It's a gym not a library.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  4. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

i go to a gym where you swipe a card to open the door. insurance pays X amount for some people if you go X times a month.

it burns my ass when I'm doing cardio and I see people walk up to the door, swipe the card and leave.

if you are going to pay for any of it, get your ass in there. the insurance thing is only like 5 times a month or some shit.

also, when someone comes in, hops on the treadmill/eliptical/bike for 15 minutes and leaves. same with the weights. did you really need to come in here, and curl the 15 lb weights for 3 sets and leave?

5. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

lol. there's these dudes who grun loundly on EVERY rep of EVERY exercise. 20 lbs cable flies, and it sounds like he's moving the fucking building. on EVERYTHING.

It's fucking retarded. I'll admit i let out a groan today on a pr...but it was a 1rm max for fk sakes, not a whole set.

6. Reduce.

Reduce. Psychogenic Polydypsia? No. Just a small bladder.

i agree with a bunch on that list.

i know it shouldn't bother me, but this old dude at my gym only works out his back and bis. he's there 3-4 times a week, and i swear, all he does is pull ups, lat pull downs and barbell bicep curls. every single time.

7. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Yea I am referring more to the people who intentionally grunt or yell. Like the dude next to me today doing cable push-downs.

8. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

i really try not to worry about what other people are doing as long as theyre respectful to me, in which case some people can be assholes when asking simple questions like "are you using that" or when you answer their questions on if you are using a piece of equipment and they give you attitude, yeah dickhead, im using it, fuck off and deal with it dont give me a mean mug or whine like a faggot about it.

anything else i could give two fucks about, thats your business, do pushups in a corner every day and grunt like a faggot for all i care, i have my headphones in and am worried about myself.

9. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

1. Asking me or my spotter a question in the middle of a set.
    ~Um no I can't look at you or answer your question when we are going to finish of if you can take that 5kg plate I'm trying to fuckin' concentrate on lifting/spotting. Wait until we are finished.

2. Walking close or standing close when I'm doing a set
    ~ I'm doing 40kg db shoulder presses, you standing right next to me for no reason is just asking for a db to be dropped on you if/when I fail. Common sense tardo

3. Flat benching 50kg on the smith machine
    ~shit dude you're lifting nothing, use db (if affraid of drop) or go to a bench for that. I need the smith for large weights that free weights can't supply.

4. No that bench wasn't put there for your towel and water bottle.
    ~Hold it or put it elsewhere, people are here to use that shit.

10. RogerThat

RogerThat New Member

Umm....crossfit is pretty intense....

11. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

talkin on your cell phone is biggest. my 24 hour just got vallet service something about that makes me want to puke

12. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

I always wonder if it ever bothers people that i use a bench to rest a dumbell on while im doing standing tricep extentions.........

13. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

I FUCKING HATE THAT :mad: I could care less if I drop a weight on someone else, I'm worried about them bumping me and dropping a few hundred pounds on myself. People stepping over my feet, weaving around the end of the barbell, taking weights off the rack in the middle of a set :madfawk:

14. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

+1 for the cellphone BS.

also:
    guys who repeatedly flex in the mirror
    guys who wear belts when doing arms or other stupid shit

15. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

Guys who fill the leg press up with plates then move it six inches a few times and think they're cock diesel.

16. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

Crossfit isn't God's gift to working out, but it's still beneficial

17. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

yeah man, i posted a while back about a guy who does it at my gym. put up 16 plates on it (as much as fit) and then placed two plates on top.

but he wouldn't even move the safety...so it wasn't even six inches. maybe 2.

i dont usually scoff at other peoples ROM, but if they're using every plate in the gym to do it, then i've got a right

18. Benigma

Benigma OT Supporter

I hate people who leave their towel/water/bottle/keys/phone over a piece of a equipment, start using something else, jerk off in the corner for 20mins, then as soon as you go near it, tell you "I was using that"

Sorry twat, your bottle does not represent you. If you're using something else, I'm moving your shit.

19. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

sounds like you worry about what other people are doing in the gym more than what you're doing

20. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

I love the yawn-flex'ers. Guys who bust out some serious broceps, Rack the DBs and bust out a yawn-flex in the mirror.

This usually turns into a back double bi

[​IMG]

21. knucks

knucks Active Member

Prolly my biggest pet peeve

22. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

I had some jackass last week, most likely a New Yorker come over to me and ask how many sets I had left. But to get my attention I had my back turned towards him and he gives me an elbow as he walked by and then asks how many sets you got? I hate when people I don't know touch me, tap me on the shoulder for a spot or to ask me something is cool, but don't f'ing elbow me.

The 80 year old man in my gym - anytime you are near him he has to tell you how good he looks for his age, and there is no other man that is as healthy and good looking as him. He speaks with a New York Italian Mobster accent. He will tell you your form sucks, and will also tell you how many reps you should do. He will walk up to everyone in the gym and critique them, especially women pointing out their deficiencies. I'm not going to lie, the dude looks good for his age but he is extremely obnoxious and loud.

People who block the DB Rack or Ez Curl Rack.

People who grunt very loud, and it's usually some really small dude.

Guys who walk away from the Squat Rack, then go and speak to a chick across the gym and then bitch when you unrack their weight and tell you "I was using that."

23. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

This one doesn't hold true in my gym. Most of the fighters in there are in the UFC or are Professional fighters. American Top Team is right down the street and it attracts top fighters from around the World and they train at La Fitness.

24. PcH

PcH Guest

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

25. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

Ditto. Who cares what people are doing in the gym - or not doing. You have 1 valid point about people being lazy and leaving a bunch of heavy plates on equipment that an old person might have difficulty removing. Removing weights is like extra reps imo.

Other than that realize everyone has different goals. Maybe someone dreams of competing but has no follow thru, big deal. Maybe the crossfitter just wants to be in good shape for a weekend game with is friends - bicep curls and bench press won't do it. Maybe the MMA fighter isn't so much dreaming of being the next ultimate fighter, maybe he just likes to fight and is tired of finding himself in a cell after a bar fight.

PS there is already a 11ty page thread called Brag or complain about something gym related. All this crap is already in there.

The triangle choke a foam roller comment was pretty funny though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.