Gym injuries

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by camber, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camber

camber Active Member

As i was walking into my gym, the owner was telling someone that they only have had one other injure at the gym this year. I hear this while i am checking in and i ask him what happed. Apparently a a guy was on the flat bench and the bar rolled of his palms and landed on his chest loaded up with 315lbs. They took him out on a stretcher strapped in with his arm folded on his chest. I could not tell how tall he was but from what i could see of him he was not a small guy. I hope he is ok.

have any of you ever seen something this happen before?

2. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

One of the owners in the gym was doing front squats. He was in his mid 50's and doing a PR and then... one quad blew, followed by the other quad blowing out. Both were nearly completely detached at the knee. I didn't see it, but he was fucked up for months. I remembered seeing him walking around in two leg immobilizers... it was interesting.

3. TZ

TZ Banned

fuck this topic it's bad mojo, man :io:

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

lets see... we had a guy lose 4 teeth and get a concussion when he dumped 550 on his face (came in and squatted the next day)

4-5 bicep tears, 2-3 quad injuries, 2 lat injuries, and lots and lots of back tweaks

5. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Or there is my own personal one: I hadn't trained for three months because of the job I had, working in a steel mill and decided to go to the gym one day. I was all psyched and getting into it and started snatching. I was training at the rec center on campus instead of the gym I usually train at and they have a platform in an area so people can be walking behind you without you being aware.

Anyway, so I start snatching, getting more and more weight and I reach 80 kilos. I power snatch, BUT I bounced the bar making it travel in a circular path overhead instead of straight up. Well I was strapped in and didn't know if there was someone behind me or not paying attention so I tried to save the lift. In the process I hyper extended the shit out of my left shoulder and I heard "POP."

Pop was the sound of my supraspinous being torn in half, along with near complete dettachment of glenoid labrum. I recovered the weight, set it down, was in pain, and thought wow, I am Fucking D-U-N. That was June 06 and had surgery in Sept 06.

6. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

i guess the dude had a suicide grip.

i've seen way too many videos of suicide grips getting people.

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

no kidding, people gotta remember we got thumbs for a fucking reason lol

no suicide grip for this guy that's for sure, just thinking of that bar bouncing off your chest,,,,,,eek

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  8. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

now i regret clicking :noes:

9. camber

camber Active Member

well i just got home from the gym, the guy has a broken sternum.

10. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

11. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I use it in the smith machine. Sometimes it's a more comfortable grip. I'd never use it on a regular bb though. It offers no advantage and introduces a huge risk factor.

12. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Almost had one Monday.

I'm at the gym, on a flat bench beside a guy I lift with every now and then on the decline bench, trying to get in it with dumbells. He does the 70s, then he does the 75s, and then grabs the 80s. No problem on the 70s or 75, so I figure he's cool to get the 80s. He hooks one knee in the decline bench, and goes to get the other in, no dice. He kind of falls to his left, and dumbs the weight. No harm, no foul. He grabs the dumbell back up, and goes to get in agian, and almost tips the decline bench over. I don't know what the fuck the deal was, but he was having a really tough time with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.