Gym etiquette...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Man Bear Pig, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

I have a question for you guys. Do you feel it is appropriate to correct someone who is using bad technique for their lifts? I mean bad enough to the point where they are setting themselves up for serious injury? Example; last night I was messing around at the rec center on campus and this skinny guy was doing some front squats. The problem? He was allowing his elbows touch his thighs/knees when he would reach the bottom position and also was not properly racking the weight on his shoulders.

He wasn't doing a lot of weight or anything, but was setting himself up for serious pain in the future if he had a brain fart. I was tempted to let him know, but I wasn't sure if it would be interpreted as being a dick. So, I am curious how other people go about doing this, without being a dick about it.

2. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

I'd watch and wait until he failed. Then point and laugh.

Orrrrr if you're into the whole "nice guy thing", you could politely approach him and ask whether he would mind if you gave him some free advice. And then he'll probably tell you to f off. so you end up in the same place.

3. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

i really don't care about other people with bad form and "half-rep harry's" unless they ask.

4. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Yeah, finding somebody who will be receptive to unsolicited advice isn't likely.

A good example is when i'm playing golf with a dude who has watched a few videos and maybe even had a lesson or two, thus making him the swing coach for the rest of the foursome. Yeah I'll generally never play with that guy again.

5. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

I ALWAYS get "advice" from skinny, weak people about the Bill Starr routine.

"Why do you only do 5 reps? You're not gonna get stronger that way.", when usually I am 5 repping their max or higher.

Or especially on Fridays when you do 3 reps on your heavy set, "Why not do something you can do 8 times instead?"

These are usually people I at least know though, never complete strangers.

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I stopped offering advice to people in the gym a long time ago unless they ask.

7. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

couple nights ago i saw some kid doing dls...but with a totally rounded back. looked like a C almost
    when he was done with his set, i told him to do this and that and what not, and he appreciated it.

i think it's retarded to just watch someone go on with shit form and put themselves at risk of injury.
    none of us are "hardcore" enough to say "OH YA, WHEN I'M IN THE GYM, ALL I SEE IS MYSELF. ALL I WORRY ABOUT IS MYSELF."

that's a joke. be nice and share what you know. especially when the person is putting him/herself at risk of injury.

8. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

that's a great attitude to have...

unfortunately most people will humor you by doing it "your" way until you walk away...then they go back to doing it their way because they think you're a self righteous nosey prick...

if someone asks I'm more then willing to help...

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

That's everyone in my gym who deadlifts. I just lol.

10. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

i understand what you mean.

but at least you can walk away and said that you tried. that's all that really matters

11. TZ

TZ Banned

i dont talk to anyone unless i have to

12. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

no, i won't ever give unwanted advice because i hate it when people do that shit to me.

take the idiot who told me i'm setting myself up for problems because i take a creatine supplement. his solution was to eat raw beef because "blood has a lot of creatine." out of nowhere :jerkit:

13. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

One time some pretty skinny kid was trying to bench a shitload of weight or just too much for him. He ended up dropping the bar on his chest and having to drop the bar to the sides to make the plates fall off. I actually yelled at the kid and said dont do that shit again, I told him ask for a fucking spot for christ sake...

other than that I put my ipod on and zone out every muthafucka

14. texchef

texchef Guest

Most people are afraid to ask thinking they will look like they don't know what they were doing. Personally if I were doing squats or dls with an improper form I would hope someone would point out my flaw and help correct it. I admit I don't ask for form advice and don't do a new lift unless I have seen every pic and vid I can get my hands on. Then if it doesn't feel right I stop.

15. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

They didn't come to the gym so I could train them. If they think I'm worth asking my opinion they will.

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've gotten pointers from people and appreciated it, despite the fact that most of the time it's been bull shit.

I have the same problem though, only there's another aspect to it:

1) i don't want to be interpreted as rude or a know-it-all, going around correcting people to act elitest

2) i'm a skinnyfat bastard and I'm not sure anyone would want to take advice from me

17. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

If I see the guy again I will probably politely give him some pointers, because he really is setting himself up with for a shitty injury. Receiving the bar with elbows pointed straight down during cleans is not a good thing...

18. NUDES

NUDES New Member

It depends.

Ask yourseldf the following:

-Are you pretty large and LEAN and STRONG? (AT THE SAME TIME, NOT AND/OR)

If you are not, then do not advise. People will NOT listen to you.

People will almost ALWAYS listen to a big ass dude who is lean, regardless of what the advice is. Or if your timber lean, etc.

If you have a mediocre physical appearance then almost nobody will take you serious.

That's just how the world works.

19. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

i'm not lean, but i did have people do the same workout as me and follow me one exercise behind :rofl: :wtf:

20. TZ

TZ Banned

I've had people who are smaller and weaker than me try to give me tips on squatting, saying don't go below parallel. :ugh:

21. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Always a good one...
    "Your killing urz kneez!"

22. NUDES

NUDES New Member

It also works the reverse.

If you were fucking big and lean, like real big, nobody will offer you advice.. pretty much ever. Do you really think people would go up to Ronnie and give him advice?

No, because he's so fucking big and lean that people will assume he knows everything that can be known about training.

So the answer to your problem is get REALLY big and lean. :bigthumb:

23. TZ

TZ Banned

:rofl: touche

24. TZ

TZ Banned

Yea, he's like "you dont get any stronger by going deeper as opposed to parallel"

25. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

.... throat punch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.