Guys without garages... hvae you had problems with parking your bike outside?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mitrong, Jan 2, 2007.

1. mitrong

mitrong so cute

I would be kinda weary of having a nice bike outside in a parking lot to be stolen... i live in a decent area though... have you guys heard of people having problems with this?

2. Virality

Virality New Member

Alot of people in my neighborhood who leave them outside have them chained up to a pole or a gate or something

3. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

People here leave them outside with a cover over them and sometimes they are chained and sometimes they arent... Some rich bastards even have trailers for them.

4. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

a lot of bikes ive seen on the outside have chain locks around the wheels, but if someones really intent on stealing a bike, that wont stop them

5. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Geez, a chain around the wheel of a nice bike.... kinda asking for some scratches, don't ya think?

They make some pretty decent locks for bikes out there now. One that goes into the brake area in the back and all... that looks cool. Looks expensive though.

6. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Quite a few options exist, but bottom line...parking your bike outside is a bad idea IMO.

7. Slick26

Absolutely. But if you don't have that option... there are plenty of better choices than using a bicycle chain around the front wheel of your R1.

8. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Depends on the bike.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

I would do my absolute best to hide it. I may even rent a garage or rent space in a friend's depending on the area.
    [​IMG]

:([​IMG]

A friend had to leave his bike outside and his neighbor came home while two guys were hoisting it into the back of a van. He yelled, they dropped it and sped off. Never caught the guys. They cut down a tree with about a 10" diameter to get the chain off (no the picture above is not from my friend).

10. mitrong

mitrong so cute

lets say a brand new 600 cc sportbike.. are these susceptible to being stolen? :(

i dunno i just find it hard to believe that everyone that has a bike has garage space, especially in more expensive areas like san fran and DC and such

11. machine81

machine81 New Member

I had my SV parked outside in Seattle for 8 months. It had a cover and a disc lock. My parking lot was a little recessed and out-of-the-way so I think that helped too. Anyway, to my knowledge, no one touched it. However, I have a garage now and I am way happier about that.

Basically, make that bike as unappealing to steal as possible. Cover it so they don't now what it is just by driving by. Put a disc lock on it. Lock the steering head when you shut it off. Maybe put a vinyl covered cable (read: not chain) through the back wheel and lock it to a building or something metal (not a tree). You could put Lo-Jack on it too so that if it is stolen you'll know exactly where it is. And finally, insure it to the hilt. The up-front insurance costs, plus deductible, is WAY cheaper than a new bike.

12. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Sport bikes are a prime target. I know one guy who had a V-Rod and a 100RR in his driveway. Guess which one they stole.

Make it tough for them to steal. Layer your security. Chain it to something solid. Don't bother chaining the wheel as you can see in the above photos, they'll just take the bike and leave the wheel. Chain it to the frame.

Add motion lights to the area.

Cover up the bike.

[​IMG]

Popular bikes are prime targets. Steal the bike. Part it out. Ebay the parts. Profit

13. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I haven't had any problems parking my bike outside, but it isn't exactly a big theft target.

a friend of my dad's bike was stolen out of a locked garage. it had one of the roll up metal doors with horizontal bars about the thickness of a pencil. they cut through those and opened the door, and then stole the bike (BMW R1200GS).

14. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

yeah this is what i meant, locks through the drilled rotors

15. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

I leave mine out all the time, but it's a 91 ZX6D, not exactly a bike people would want. I have been leaving it in my driveway lately, only because I havent been riding in a while.

16. Slick26

Yup. :coolugh:

17. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

I had a 91 Katana 600 stolen from my apartment parking lot. It had a cover but no extra locks. This wasnt the nicest area but thugs rip stuff off from nice places too. I would certainly find a way to chain it to something solid if I ever had a bike at an apartment again.

18. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Chain.

I also recommend a good fitting bike cover that has grommets on it to lock as well.

Thiefs want quick marks. They don't want to take anymore time than necessary to take your bike. The cover may dissuade(sp) them long enough to move on.

If I was going to steal a bike, I wouldn't even bother with one that had a cover on. Especially if it's locked on.

Also, I'd ad an alarm like the Scorpio i500 paging alarm.

Before I had a garage I parked it in front of my wife's SUV. The only way to get to my bike was to move the SUV or lift it over.

19. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

The thing is, no matter where you live, all it takes is for someone to follow you home and see that you leave the bike outside.

20. Slick26

If I had a '91 Katana... I'd WANT it stolen. :wiggle:

21. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

The Can-a-tuna was a POS and the theft made way for me to upgrade to the 93 GTS1000 I still have 8 years later so maybe you are right.