MMA Guys who train..I have questions.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by dengar, Mar 6, 2008.

1. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I have only been training for a couple of months and I have some questions for you guys.

What do you typically eat prior to training?
    I want to keep my energy up, but don't want to roll around with a full meal in me. I have tried protein shakes. I have tried small dinners. Are any of you guys taking in BCAAs prior to class?

I have class around 7:30 and I get home from work around 6:30. Do you make sure that you eat a certain amount of time prior to training?

I am the first to admit that I am out of shape. How long did it take some of you to get into shape so that you can go hard your entire class? Were you doing anything to improve conditioning on your own time?

I know there are a bunch of questions...answer whichever ones you feel like.

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I typically just try to have a small meal an hour before class, although if it's gonna be a hard class an hour might be pushing it.

getting in shape comes from working hard and giving your all. it'll come, there's not really a timeframe.

3. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i used to train really early in the mornings (6 am, 11am) so i would go with 2 cups of oatmeal with 3 splenda packets and 2 scoops of your choice of whey protein, both mixed with milk. If i ate too close to training time i would have protein shake and oatmal in the back of my throat for an hour and a half, especially when a guy we call "BIG" would get on top of me

4. dengar

Weights coming off. I know that will take care of itself.

I am on ECA now. I just gas really easily. I finally am into my house and things will begin to settle down for me and it will be easier for me to make a solid transition into this too.

5. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I can't eat much more than an energy bar within an hour before class, otherwise I feel nauseous the whole time.

6. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

b-vitamins and ALCAR help my energy levels out day to day

7. dengar

Good I was worried it was just me..

I need to pick up some stuff that is light or start packing a real late lunch that I can eat before I leave work.

Even protein shakes make me feel odd when I am in class.

8. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Oatmeal and some eggs is good for breakfast.

Tuna or any other kind of fish is good lunch (smoked mackerels mmmm)

I wouldn't eat more than a banan an hour before your class.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

chicken + rice before class

10. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

same

11. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

There are certainly plenty of people who are more experienced in BJJ than I am but there's a reason the top guys don't sweat as much while rolling around (besides the obvious reason that they are just better).

The nerves are calm, the breathing is steady, they don't panic, and act smoothly.

I'd gas easily but then became more comfortable while having my face smothered and not panic at all. If I lose position I lose position, but it's better than gassing and giving up all hope. Just breath and remain composed.

I used to sweat buckets but now it's not too bad.

12. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I don't normally eat before morning training to maximize coming off of a starvation phase.

In the after noons I'd eat 2 slices of 7 sprouts/ stone ground wheat/ or ezekiel toast with a small ammount of butter or something.

Gets the cals from the fat for the end of class and the complex carbs throughout. also its extremely light and very unlikely to come up in a hard session.

as for gassing, I've always had decent gas. The biggest thing for me was when I would get tired and start gassing I would push twice as hard. Yeah you might get caught moving with lagging muscles but you will see as the weeks go by that your gas will increase dramatically. Its a rule for me when you get tired you push the pace twice as hard.

as for losing weight and getting in shape as much as it has to do with training it has just as much if not more to do with diet. you tighten up the diet lbs will DROP off.

also your gassing can have to do with the foods you eat.

13. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I can personally eat really anything and feel fine. But I usually try to eat some tupe of lean protine and a small amount of carbohydrates. I may have some beef jerky and part of a gatorade or any number of things like that, that will sit fairly light in my stomach.

14. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I just try to eat light and not too much close to when I train..

right before I train I have to eat something though, typically a zone bar or something

15. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I dont like to go to class hungry, but if I dont have time to stop ill keep a energy bar in my bag.

:rofl: yesterday I had a large fry and a chocolate shake right before I went into class.

I think the conditioning just comes around after several months. Try doing sprint/jogging alternations on off days if you want to have some more wind during class.

16. dengar

:rofl:

17. roose

roose Guest

Peanut butter sandwich and a banana works wonders for me.

A kid in my class on Tuesday goes 'I just had a Filet-o-fish and small fries on my way here'. I hit him in the stomach every chance I got.

18. VulgarTheClown

Since Dengar took no notice of my GOLDEN information I'm just gonna edit it out and leave it blank so my super informed, well educated reply to his request for help doesn't take up so much room making it that much easier to find out that Savage5point0 eat fries and a shake before practice and Drag beats up on fans of McDonalds.

Yeah why would I ever contribute these gems of good info when Savage can tell you what you wanna hear instead.

19. Savage5point0

We should just give you your own sub forum where your godly professional knowledge can sit unmolested and be bestowed upon everyone who you deem worth of reading.

Until then, I can only offer a :hug:

Are you so bitter because you dont even remember what a milkshake tastes like?

20. Sylva

Sylva New Member

No, he thinks you're a spouting off BS when most people came in here offering legit advice as to what to eat pre-workout and you come in here bowing down to the golden arches and blowing out your colon after every class.

Basically, a good carbohydrate souce and a lean protein before class are ideal.

21. Savage5point0

I did offer two bits of legitimate advice if you bothered to read my post. I put a short one sentence blurb/joke in about how I had an unhealthy snack yesterday. I dont think anywhere I advocated eating poorly or suggested McDonalds as a nutritional supplement. I dont see where I called anybodys mother a whore here. What happened to our good fellowship here in the Cage?

And thanks for editing out calling me a faggot, I feel a little better now :bigthumb:

22. VulgarTheClown

Both wrong actually. Tho having my own forum would RULE!!!

It has bee na while since i had a shake. That makes me wanna run to McDonalds and then come home and kill myself. Both sound better than sex.

but in reality I like to know when i give information how it is received and if there are any questions.

23. VulgarTheClown

you know sometimes when i do hooking gigs on the side the Jon or Jane asks me to just shit on them. I tell them OK but they gotta buy my some McDonalds and I kid you not within 20 min of eatting its like all they ever wanted.

I call McDonalds "The Miracle Maker"

24. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i eat rice and vegetables

25. VulgarTheClown

I had orange juice this mornin