Guy at work getting screwed by a deatailer!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Ballast, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

So one of the bosses in our purchasing department has a black 2004 Nissan 350Z roadster. It looks great, he takes great care of it... but he get's it detailed at an autobody shop.

Sure they charged him $280 Canadian. The car looks shiny, but has more swirls than my old Beretta did before I got rid of it. They don't use buffers or rotary machines there because "we get better results by hand". :rolleyes:

I showed him my hood today when we were in the parking lot. He's offered me $250 to do it "right" :big grin:

I'd already booked off wed/thurs/fri next week. I'm coming in to get his car on thursday and return it by COB. Only had my PC for 4 days and it looks like it will pay for itself :bigthumb:

I'm going to use DACP / SFP / S100 SEC / EX-P / S100 on it.
    Swap in VM for the SEC if it arrives by Thursday.
    Pictures will be posted.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Sounds like the shop either wasn't able to remove the dealer installed swirls or they are using aggressive polishes with foam hand pads. You just cannot work the polishes into the paint evenly or deeply enough with foam hand pads, which is the reason I recommend using folded terry cloth towels.

Good luck and try to get both before and after pics. :)

3. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

One of my new customers is in the same position. He paid a shop $210 to get his wife's new 330i detailed and the shop did very poor work on it. I just detailed his sons car and he came home and was really impressed with the work I did and asked me to give him an estimate. Needless to say, he's now looking into having me detail his other cars as well, 12 in all.

Do good work and your referrals will roll in! Definately try and get some before and afters.

4. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

I wasn't really looking to start a detailing business. I've talked with a few people at work that like to keep their cars shiny, mostly to do group orders on products to save shipping costs.

I just kinda took this job because it would pay for the buffer. Who knows, maybe this will balloon into something that will pay for most of my detailing supplies :dunno:

5. Scottwax

:dunno: I wasn't looking at starting a detailing business when I detailed my brothers 626 GT turbo back in the early 90s either, but when he called me at work to let me know several people there were interested in me cleaning their cars too, it kind of took off.

6. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

i wish my PC actually worked

i have better luck with my hand

7. autoracer1

autoracer1 Rallyx postponed :wtc: Next one May 10.

One thing I've wondered...

When you say terry cloth towel.. do you mean like the bathroom towel you use to shower?

8. Scottwax

Yes.

9. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

i get pretty solid results with the old hand.
    i've tried terry cloth and ive tried the cotton pad and the cloth is by far superb.

Needless to say a microfiber is the perfect tool for removing wax however...